Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If they kept the same form factor but reduced the top and bottom bezels they'd have to lose the 4:3 and 3:2 screen ratios though, so I'd be surprised if they did that.

If they wanted to keep the 4:3 and reduce the top bezels, the only out is to make the whole device wider, which I doubt they'd do. I'm thinking they might reduce the vertical device size just a tad. I guess we'll see. Great to hear that you're happy with it though, I'm kinda jealous! :)

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Despite many saying it shouldn't be done; I view a lot of video full screen spanning both screens...I find the clarity / size to be so much more enjoyable than on just one screen; that I put up with it and I personally don't find it too distracting...>>

+1. I think it's interesting that things like this can become such a huge consideration. Spanning video doesn't really bother me at all, the little slice out of the center may occasionally obscure something, but it isn't usually something essential. And dialogue is usually many times more important to following what's going on, and that streams unimpeded.

PS: Black bars on the sides (or top and bottom) of videos don't bother me, either...

<<...The speaker needs work. I can barely hear zoom meetings...>>

-1. I think the speaker is fine; I don't think that the Duo was intended to be, nor should be, a boombox. I've spent years (and I mean a lot of years) conducting and participating in virtual meetings using tools like WebEx. In general, if a participant can't be heard very well at my station, they can't be heard very well at any of the other stations; in other words, it's that person's problem, not my need to turn my volume up to 11! Asking the person to get closer to the mic (or whatever) always solves the problem. (Sometimes, just cutting them off is an even better solution, but I digress...!)

dstrauss, JoeS and Bishop like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Steve S much as I respect you opinions generally, there is no way to sugar coat it, the speaker in the Duo sucks! :eek::D

However it's a minor ding in what has been a surprisingly positive experience overall with the Duo and it has become my permanent work device.

More generally though, I still think MS faces a challenge with getting people to where I am with the duo. Simply stated, if I hadn't bought it (on an impulse honestly) and then forced myself to use my new very expensive toy, I don't think I'd be there otherwise.

So the question is how MS either gets more users hands on experience or finds more effective ways to communicate the unique benefits of the Duo/dual screen paradigm. So far I'm not impressed.

However to give MS a bit of slack, one of my counterparts has had a strikingly similar experience with the Fold 2. Eg. it was only after she stopped trying to make it a substitute for her S20 and instead trying to play to its specific strengths as it's own device.

She like me with the Duo, has found that using it as the fold 2 instead of a variation on the s20 has been the key to success/satisfaction.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Chris_Kez and Steve S like this.
  4. Steve S

<<...there is no way to sugar coat it, the speaker in the Duo sucks!...>>

All I can say is that, for me, the speaker is satisfactory; any objections are on you...:rolleyes:

desertlap likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Steve S Quick but serious question for you. How would you describe the environment(s) that you are using the speaker in? I agree that no one should expect to use it as a boombox, but I have another theory which we may test out that squares our divergent opinions.

Steve S likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@cbutters" The edge of the top / bottom bezel could use more screen than bezel; in the exact same form factor. left / right bezels are perfect."
    @JoeS "If they kept the same form factor but reduced the top and bottom bezels they'd have to lose the 4:3 and 3:2 screen ratios though, so I'd be surprised if they did that."

A compromise moment - shove the app tray (or whatever Android calls it - including the gesture buttons) into that bottom dead space (chin) and preserve the existing screen size purely for data. If they choose to keep the forhead for Windows Hello fine, but HP was able to get a Windows Hello camera in 2mm on the x360...

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So you were both "holding it wrong" so to speak...:p

8. Steve S

<<...How would you describe the environment(s) that you are using the speaker in?..>>

@desertlap : At the moment, mostly at home. The ambient noise level is low (we are on a secluded cul-de-sac), but with an infant granddaughter in the house every day, and with TV and other activities, levels can be well above 70 dBA. Out of the house, I would guess that ambient levels range from 70 dBA to about 80-85 dBA depending upon traffic, HVAC, etc. I almost always use the speaker (or earbuds) for telephone calls having had three friends / acquaintances all suffer brain cancers (the worst a heavy cell phone user) over the last couple of years. The speaker might be a tad tinny, but its volume has proven to be adequate for my use...

desertlap likes this.
  9. Steve S

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

You know for a long time since some of the early dual screen devices(Axom M anyone?) been wondering why no has done that.