Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Thanks for the notes about the feature/bug items. I'm not an engineer, but sometimes I play one at work. Deep appreciation here for the quality of the SDuo hardware - especially as a Gen 1 device.

Here's a thought experiment for you:

Neo ships running Win X. An optional accessory is a single slab handset (with a KILLER camera - are you satisfied now?). Your Phone Companion becomes Your Neo Companion - like that Palm companion thing tried to be. Let it run Android, Neo emulates.
    upload_2020-9-21_10-47-11.png

HP tried the laptop chassis as an accessory to the phone:
    upload_2020-9-21_10-44-13.png

I think they got it backwards. Neo+ would be the reverse. By embracing Android, MS could minimize it.

dstrauss and desertlap like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It sort of aligns with one of the more persistent rumors we've heard since the announcements of a re-think of Windows X and the honestly terribly bad performance of Lakefield (Major Wiff by intel ).

Rumor being that the Neo will be relaunched as an Android/Qualcomm device.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Lakefield - Intel has officially become the Gang That Can't Shoot Straight...

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Why on god's green earth are emoji's so important...iOS and Android...:vbconfused::vbrolleyes:

Bishop likes this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Neo WOA, Ok I'm in. Neo on Android will die like all other Android tablets do.

Chris_Kez and nnthemperor like this.
  7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think Neo and Duo are both sort of this weird in-between though. I know for those of you who are happy with the Duo, it's different, and this is almost like a PDA-type thing for you. But for me personally, I've got my phone, and I've got my laptop/tablet. Any new category of device has to replace one or the other. Maybe in theory Surface Neo could replace my laptop, but at least with the publicly available emulators, that seemed unlikely. (And it runs into the same issue as Duo for watching video, which is probably about 20% of my PC usage). Duo has some great new use cases... but for various reasons that I don't want to repeat ad nauseum (too late? :D), it can't replace my phone. Both of these devices are cool and I love seeing the R&D going into them, but they can't take over the role of either my PC or phone.

So then you run into the problem of who or what are these devices for. No matter how good it is, how big is the market for a third device? Pre-Covid at least, I was actually seeing more people not even having a laptop / personal computer - many of my colleagues had a work desktop PC that stays at the office and no personal or work laptop at all, so to some it seems that even my two-device strategy is unnecessary (obviously depending on the person and use cases). So how do you really get someone to feel like they need a third device? I think that's the uphill battle for Microsoft, and why they too will eventually standardize around folding screens instead of two separate screens (just the technology isn't quite ready for their needs yet).

As for the earlier comments about Panos' glowing descriptions of the two-screen paradigm over a single folding screen... well just look at all the things he originally said about the Surface RT before you take too much stock in how pumped he is about a device. ;)

8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Amen to that.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Those are excellent points and I agree with some and disagree with others. So...

First of all I'll say that the Duo sucks as phone, for myriad reasons not the least of which is having to open it to answer or make a call. Not to mention mediocre call quality overall and a too quiet speaker. And I really miss the iPhones superb cameras.

However, My use of my cell phone as a phone, has been steadily decreasing over the last couple of years while the use as a communications and productivity device has correspondingly increased. And I was generally skeptical of it especially when I had a pre release version and could talk about it publicly.

But now that it's out and I'm using it for real work I'm finding the increased usefulness and productivity over all has offset it's failings as a phone. That doesn't mean it's fine away and I think even a minimal front screen for even something as basic as making phone calls and viewing notifications is something they should consider adding to version two.

And again, I don't think I would have realized that if I hadn't jumped in to the deep end so to speak. I also realize that not all have that luxury to try and that's bar that I don't think MS has sufficiently addressed yet.

But TLDR, I'm quite happy with it and that's vine after the "new toy infatuation" has faded which for me is typically about 3 days of trying to use it for real things.

Bonus feature is that even in single screen mode it has replaced my kindle in my bag for reading, solely due to the 5:4 screen ratio. Something that the narrower iPhone or galaxy couldn't do.

my $.02 for the day:)

PS: I had an analogous experience when I switched from Blackberry to iPhone. I took a major step back in terms of email and the voice quality on the early iPhones was adequate at best, but the gains from a real browser and apps, more than offset it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Chris_Kez and Bishop like this.
  10. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

My 10 day update:

• I've sold my Note 20 Ultra for the Surface Duo (this is saying a lot)
    • I use it in "phone mode" during casual times; (when its in my pocket; when I'm working on something else on the computer. (glass out)
    • Dual Mode comes out when I'm actually using the phone for more than just basic texting. Such as taking notes in meetings; early morning reddit / news / youtube sessions / ebook / comics.
    • I close it completely at night; or if I know I won't be using it for a while; its nice to know its not flashing or waking people up if/when the screen turns on for any reason.
    • Comics are amazing on this device... Love it.
    • I tried the bumper for a while; and it was too hard to get in and out of my pocket; so I did a vinyl wrap on front back and edges; it is somewhat more protected and easier to grip I feel, not a lot of bulk added.
    • Despite many saying it shouldn't be done; I view a lot of video full screen spanning both screens. (I even do this having to read subtitles on certain programs I'm watching) I find the clarity / size to be so much more enjoyable than on just one screen; that I put up with it and I personally don't find it too distracting.
    • I've encountered a few complete lockups of the device where the only option was to hold down the power button. I find its good practice to reboot every single day; hopefully microsoft fixes this.
    • Citra 3DS emulator is pretty awesome on this device.
    • Nothing beats this thing for multitasking emails / researching things on one screen and responding on another.
    Things I want in Surface Duo 2
    • I think using a rounded glass edge on the "hinge side" of the screen (a la samsung "rounded edge") could get the screens probably at least 1-2mm closer together. It would reduce the gap substantially.
    • Camera - Its fine; but we need better and I think they can do a bit better even in the same space; 2 cameras 1 front / 1 back would reduce the amount of confusion people seem to be having using the camera app. (I've seen the prototype that had the outside camera; and I don't think it is ugly)
    • The edge of the top / bottom bezel could use more screen than bezel; in the exact same form factor. left / right bezels are perfect.
    • The speaker needs work. I can barely hear zoom meetings. Go stereo as well. (there are already 2 speakers in this device btw)
    • find a way to attach or silo a pen on this thing.