Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Feature or Bug?

When SwitfKey keyboard is on the screen, the "double tap" on the app bar on the bottom of the screen will not dismiss the app.

This is a documented bug. Fix is coming in October according to info we received

Screenshot warning:

If you take a screenshot while folded into single screen mode, the screenshot will be one half the screen you were working on and the other half of the screensaver.

Maybe we could start a new game: Feature or Bug?

This is neither. It's a limitation of Android 10. It is fixed in Android 11 thanks to MS contribution the the Android repository.

One last comment about the price, everything we've heard is that MS isn't making any profit on the duo at the current price and that they see it more as something to develop and build their eco system. Very similar to what they did with the first surfaces and the Xbox.

PS: An engineer that we have worked with that specializes in mechanical design with small devices thinks that besides the obvious costs associated with two displays, the hinge is likely a significant cost as well, it is one of the more complex but also meticulously designed pieces of hardware ever put in a smart phone.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Good observation, but I assume your "wrong operating system" is tongue in cheek. MS has never, and will never, get support for Windows on a phone, because there's just no room anymore for a third smartphone operating system. Android give is a great leg up in a developed app ecosystem, and if Duo flourishes, it will be one of the reasons.

Chris_Kez and JoeS like this.
  3. desertlap

Maybe, maybe not. Windows X might be a stealth weapon here. eg. the core device runs windows x with an android subsystem added in is more than possible.

4. dstrauss

I guess if it is as seamless as running Android itself, they might get away with it. If there is even a hint of Windows with some form of containered or virtualized Android, the jig is up.

5. desertlap

A lot of assumptions in both of our statements...

OTOH if you explore around in some of the more obscure level dev posts about Windows X, you start to get just how different it will be compared to what we have to this point thought of as an operating system.

PS: My phones ability to share apps is a possible preview of how it might work

6. dstrauss

Well, you know what they say about "assumption" - and I assume a lot around here. Perhaps Windows X will work for the business gang, like our tribe here, but if MS wants to go beyond the enterprise, they need to deal with perceptions, and perception would be it's not real Android...

7. desertlap

I hope this won't become just a conversation between the two of us (not that I mind actually, but because its a forum...) but you actually bring a up a great point and it also shows both of our ages...:eek:

In other words we see an operating system as a fundamental thing which powerfully affects our choices of device. But people my daughters age don't see the iPhone as an IOS device per se or a Galaxy device as an android device, but they look at it as more of a totality, eg. I want an iPhone or I want a Note.

You see the same thing to a lesser degree with the strong sales of the MacBooks. It's true that they are dwarfed in total by pc sales, but if you break it down to say comparable HP models like the Specter/Envy or Lenovo's upper end yogas they actually are close or even out sell them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  8. dstrauss

My age is showing...glad that's all...

[​IMG]

I get it - even MS gets it as it spreads it's wings on Azure and Microsoft 365 - but I still think Android is a bit different after the Nokia/Windows phone big crash and burn. It had little traction in consumer rounds, and the "committed" users got burned to this day, so I just think the Android safety net is a big help in legitimizing the Duo line.

9. desertlap

You are not alone, my daughters constant needling statement to me around tech is " Dad it's 2020, not 2000"

PS: Dont get me wrong BTW, my personal opinion of Android is still that it in many ways it's a 2nd rate knockoff of IOS, but both MS and Samsung with the latest devices are taking major steps to address the gaps.

10. dstrauss

Oh, I agree 100% - the best (most polished?) software ALWAYS comes to iOS first, sometimes as an "only" - but rarely does the Android version look or act like its iOS cousin.