Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been wondering...could something along the lines of the ASUS Bezel Free Kit for Multi Monitor Setups be a possible solution to the gap/hinge problem?...scaled down of course to the duos size, It might still be a little jarring since you can still technically see the middle gap, but it should help at least somewhat. However I would imagine the Duo's folding ability might make this much more difficult to implement then on regular large monitors, as well how the pen/touch screen would work closer to the gap, but this could be a very viable concept for 3rd party accessory developers to latch onto.

asus rog.JPG

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Marty and daddyfish like this.
  2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

The gap / middle bezel is something I am sure MS will improve one way or the other in the next iteration (if any). Iirc they also had a patent regarding some kind new hinge for a phone/tablet sized device some time ago. Or maybe some slide in/out mechanism to hide bezel (bit like Asus uses with its Zenbook Duo.

Never heard of ASUS Bezel Free Kit, pretty cool.

, I want this too but I'm not getting my hopes up, maybe a cheaper entry version for Duo 2 or refurbished Duo (but battery is not replaceable so not really an option either).

3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Listening to Panos describe the research on the productivity of 2 separated screens, I gotta believe:
    1. There's little to no effort being spent at MS to make the hinge gap invisible, and
    2. MS will very likely demonstrate their stubborn streak and stay with it
    Unless a revolutionary leap forward appears in folding screen technology before Neo arrives, I think MS is committed to dual screens (as they ever are about anything other than Windows).

Chris_Kez and dstrauss like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hey, if Apple can stick with the worthless butterfly keyboard for nearly four years, why should you expect less of MS?

Chris_Kez and Bishop like this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Feature or Bug?

When SwitfKey keyboard is on the screen, the "double tap" on the app bar on the bottom of the screen will not dismiss the app.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

On the other hand, even if Microsoft remains steadfast in maintaining the hinge/gap/two screen, 3rd party accessory's over time could sway that notion away.

As a frame of reference, the iPad and the Apple Pencil. Steve Jobs was notorious about being anti-pen and the touch-only mentality for the iPad. Despite that from 2010 to 2015, 3rd party Pen/Stylus options were most well sold and requested iPad accessory for years. Its more of a surprise that the Apple Pencil itself took so long to get given the high demand for a pen solution.

Should a 3rd party company created something akin to the Bezel Free Kit for the Surface Duo, and should it sell well enough, or better, if it could inspire other 3rd party companies to make their own. If the sales are there, I think Microsoft would recognize the utility and demand (or at least I hope so)

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You and me both. However I´m jaded enough to think it won´t happen until some middling no-name Chinese manufacturer comes out with a dual screen device with an even more eye catching hinge for $600. Enter panic mode in Redmond.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah I don't see it happen anytime soon. There's too much non-standard engineering in this thing. You're paying for a truly unique and well-designed piece of tech. Turns out that actually costs money. I just hope there are enough people out there that need/want this form factor and that also have the cash, so that the Duo experiment can continue. The answer seems to be.. maybe!

dstrauss, Kumabjorn and Bishop like this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I'd give my interest in hell for Lenovo to revisit their Yogabook and its wonderful, intricate watch hinge --- it just needed another iteration to make it workable, and as much as I love e-ink, a version w/ two LCDs would have been pretty cool.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Boom! 2000 posts! Not too bad for a weird product with a small battery, a hinge gap, a bad camera, no pen silo, and the wrong operating system. :p

nnthemperor, Kumabjorn and Bronsky like this.