Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

100% this is the weirdest part of this device, and almost 100% of the reason why (if I ever fork over the money for a folding tablet) it wont be a duo. I don't mind carrying a pen in my bag for inking on my laptop, because I have to pull my laptop out of my bag anyways. But for a phone replacement/small tablet? No. It needs to have an attached/hidden pen. This is one of the biggest selling points for a someday Fold 3 or something.

Otherwise, this device seems super cool. But I would want to write on it for sure. Particularly given the price.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm guessing it started around the whole 'bendgate' thing, and so ever since then it made the guy money so he continues to do it. I see value in some parts of it (like the scratch tests on the glass), but cutting at the speaker or fingerprint sensor with a box cutter seems ridiculous (let alone taking a lighter to the screen). And yeah, there's some amount of force under which I expect a phone to not bend, but I'm not sure watching someone attempt to snap a phone in half really adds value to me.

dstrauss likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So another whole day of using the duo as primary device and being very pleased. I used it primarily in single screen mode because of the tasks at hand which didn't really call for dual displays.

What occurred to me though is that even in that mode it still has significant usability perks compared to the taller narrower displays that have come about as a result of the companies quest to have ever larger displays and yet still fit human hands.

The original note was made fun of at the time for it's huge at the time 5 inch display and was deridingly called a phablet. We are obviously past that now and all the companies have taken advantage of the larger displays to more or less add real usefulness.

Which brings me back to the duo. After yesterday, I'm convinced that MS could extend the line and produce a single screen "Surface Solo".

With a solo they could have a camera hump like the rest of the world with much better performance of course while still potentially having a slim and pocketable device (though I do wonder how prone to bending half a of a duo actually is.

That all being said, I might consider a device like a "Solo" with an improved camera because it would address my two biggest complaints of the duo which is the mediocre camera and that it sucks as a phone.

And BTW we have heard multiple rumors that MS is considering such a device.

PS: they could possibly put a slim downed pen in a silo in such a device as well

JoeS and thierryb like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

1. I spent a lot of time yesterday intentionally NOT spanning apps, and had a similar realization.
    2. Surface Solo would have to be at least as thick as an iPhone; and I've never seen a powered pen small enough to silo in that thickness.
    3. Surface Solo would sorta trash the whole "Do One Better" marketing campaign. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    JoeS likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

MICROSOFT HAS TO FIX THIS BUG ASAP:

Once you've paired with your PC using Your Phone App, the device no longer automatically turns off when you "close the book." This is true even AFTER disabling the companion app on SDuo. It's annoying, it probably traps heat and it definitely burns battery life.

Easy-ish work around: push the power button before closing, but who wants to have to REMEMBER to do that every time.

desertlap likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<... Surface Solo would have to be at least as thick as an iPhone... >>

Finally. A "solo phone" could not be as thin as half of a Duo. Once it gets thicker , it'll simply look like every other smartphone out there, including the camera bump...

dstrauss and Bishop like this.
  7. desertlap

I noticed that as well Wednesday.

I'm not sure what the thickness would need to be. And perhaps they could do something similar to what the Kindle Oasis does which is a hybrid back where 1/3 is thicker than the rest of it.

This would allow four things, a place for the camera hump, a possible place to put a pen silo , additional battery space and make the "Solo" easier to hold .

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well obviously to stick with MS marketing speak this thing would have to be called Surface One.

desertlap likes this.
  9. desertlap

Bonus points for better name :)

10. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

No, no, no. Duo -> Uno. It would be the Surface Uno.

Y'all're making it really hard for me to not just pop on over to BB and grab the 256GB one they actually have in stock.