Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Stacy did - in fact Kevin was texting her during the episode responding to Leo's stupid camera use comments with a "read my article on how to easily switch from selfie to camera modes."

As for Thurrott* (sorry - can't resist), he will NEVER get it because he doesn't want to since it does not advance his opnions (and of course he hasn't written a book about it).

*Edited to comply with forum rules - I was out of line...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Bronsky, Chris_Kez and Bishop like this.
  2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am able to text, do or answer call, but not launch app.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So a couple of discoveries and a bug (that will get fixed soon).

The discoveries are that google docs and sheets have (albeit somewhat hidden in menus) duo specific functions such tool sets on one display and full document display on the other.

Second, Play Books which is the google brand ereader app fully supports two page display with centered pages and proper margins. Overall is a fairly basic reader, but it does have one useful feature which is that you can upload Epubs without DRM to it and they are then available through the cloud to any device on your account.

Lastly, a bug and it's a bit of an edge case, but if you try to buy more One Drive storage via the One Drive app on the duo it will crash the app and more importantly it will render it unusable without a device reset. Reinstalling the app alone doesn't fix it. MS advises buying more storage via the PC for the time being. it should get fixed in the next couple of weeks.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  4. desertlap

Question for the duo owners. How has your experience with the fingerprint reader been?

Mine has been iffy, considerably below the reader in the Note 20 for instance. not a real breaker but OTOH a reliable reader would actually be extra beneficial due to the hinge/dual display paradigm.

5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I don't use it

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...How has your experience with the fingerprint reader been?..>>

As I mentioned earlier, fingerprint readers don't seem to work for any length of time with my finger (usually only several days to a week or so). However, the Duo FP reader has been performing well; I only need to touch it once and it doesn't appear to be sensitive to location... any reasonable part of my finger will do. Of course, it's only been a week, so time will tell...

PS: You may have noticed that in her review, Lisa said something very similar...

7. desertlap

Thanks, I did notice that in her review. I wonder if I'd have better results if I used something other than my thumbs? Because of the way I tend to hold it, thumbs seem most intuitive, but I could possibly adjust my grip.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I swear I read somewhere that thumbs are the hardest for fingerprint sensors to read - something to do with the pressure you exert on the sensor - maybe that was just a bad dream?

9. desertlap

Thanks @dstrauss I learned something today. You are correct and in fact a couple of vendors that we work with that specialize in that tech disallow thumbs, because they are hardest to read accurately and easier to subvert.

Not to mention that I have above average size thumbs to begin with, something my daughter inherited as well. much to her chagrin :oops:

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<... I wonder if I'd have better results if I used something other than my thumbs?..>>

I've been using thumb and index finger. So far, so good...