Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Agreed. Similarly, if I open SDuo in portrait (Compose Mode) you are still presented the lock screen in landscape (Book Mode) and have to swipe the other way to open it and wait for it to screen rotate correctly.

2. Bishop

It's true for me because the OneNote app is still on the screen where I left it without having to swap apps and pinch and move the page to find my place again.

3. Bishop

Sorry. :oops: I'll behave.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just a counter thought, I do think a hypothetical Samsung Fold 3 with s-pen would be at least as good in these scenarios though.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ahhhhhh...that helped cool my temp a bit...

6. desertlap

Ok since I seem to be on a Duo roll today, we have done a bit of display testing of our lab duos and put my personal device in the mix as well.

The consistency of the dual displays as far as brightness and color accuracy tech. is simply outstanding. It's common for sample variances in the 2-10% range for what are supposed to be identical copies of the same display. With our two lab units, the variance was 0.8% and my personal unit was 0.73 %

They may actually be slightly better but that last number is at the limits of our testing equipment.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the Kindle page turn/side by side thing hasn't hooked me - yet. I'm not sure I don't like continuous page scrolling in portrait at that size better...>>

@Bishop : The app has a scrolling option. Tap the screen to open the "ribbon" bar and open the text options

Bishop likes this.
  8. Bishop

2 things:
    1. The fold would have to be down the shorter spine (the transparent gold overlay below is the same size as the SGZF2, showing a short spine fold); AND
    2. Skip all the @#$%^&*ing Samsung BLOATWARE.
    upload_2020-9-17_17-19-22.png

Most people would probably trade the 360* fold back for the camera. It could work...

9. desertlap

One last test result for the day. The 256GB storage option is about 18% faster in read speeds and 21% faster in write speeds compared to the 128GB. Very much likely due to different source components more than anything

Neither will set the world on fire and in fact they are about 35% slower than the equivalent sizes in the Note 20 and OnePlus 8 (which to date is the fastest we've tested)

Again it's only in tests that you can actually observe a difference. In real world use, it might once in a while be a beat slower than the Note 20 or OnePlus 8 but it's hard to detect.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  10. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

I haven't gotten through the episode yet but I was hoping that Stacy would bring up Kevin Tofel's excellent review, since they work together. My head nearly exploded listening to Paul Thurrott on Windows Weekly, as he remains obstinate in his ignorance about the "point" of Duo.

dstrauss and Bishop like this.