Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

:D:p

Seriously though, based solely on what I know about you from here, you'd love the Duo. Although some of the bugs might give you slight pause. And yes we are enablers here :)

Bishop and dstrauss like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

But see, here is where I break down about @Bishop's descripton:

"So now when I disconnect from work and sit down to scroll news and social media after supper, the only device I have is SDuo. That is an improvement from 2 weeks ago when I would've had my work phone, personal phone and an iPad ALL within arms reach and juggling the three."

See, I do the SAME thing, but with my SG2, which makes me wonder if my "needs" aren't more in line with a Note (sure wish they'd have built a Note 20 like the Note 10 - size and functionality would be near perfect).

3. desertlap

Ok just to give @dstrauss something to at least say "its not perfect..."

One definite annoyance of using apps in dual display mode is the launcher bar(s) that normally sit at the bottom of each display in the center move to the inner edges for some reason especially in things like the kindle and nook apps. I have multiple times swiped up repeatedly with nothing happening only to realize I wasn't hitting the the bar(s) because they aren't in the center of the display. Nitpicks I suppose...

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I do think it would feel quite different though: the Duo is less than half the weight of the Go 2 tablet portion, at 8.82 oz (250 g) vs. 1.2 lbs (544 g). I think both are perfectly fine for reading, but I'm sure it'd feel nice to be handling half the weight.

dstrauss, Bishop and desertlap like this.
  5. desertlap

Agreed, this is the closest I've found yet to my dream ebook reading device which is a dual screen kindle paper white that folds up like a book closed when you aren't using it.

PS: Microsoft news app while still a long way from apple news, does support the duo dual screens and does a passable dual page newspaper imitation.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  6. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Dude, not sure that screen ratio would get you what you need. The SDuo screen size is like unto the iPad Mini, just in a shorter, narrower, lighter, brighter, more pixel dense frame, AND you can open the another app on its own screen when you see that one thing you gotta check out on different website before you forget or lose the thought. :rolleyes:

Chris_Kez and dstrauss like this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

If I'm being honest, the Kindle page turn/side by side thing hasn't hooked me - yet. I'm not sure I don't like continuous page scrolling in portrait at that size better.

JoeS likes this.
  8. desertlap

I'll add one more thing which was another surprise. I'm using the surface pen far more with the duo than I did with the Note 20 and the s-pen.

It's not because it's a superior pen, the s-pen actually is, but it's solely down to the better aspect ratio of each screen and dual screens are just the cherry on the sundae,

dv8nathan and Chris_Kez like this.
  9. dstrauss

Are you some kind of MS salesman - commission?

10. dstrauss

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

JoeS and Bishop like this.