Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Had another thought as I was working with both the Duo (see what I did there) and the Note 20 ultra this morning. If MS could license Samsung DEX and produce a pseudo surface dock that connected via USBC they might have a "one device" solution for at least a fraction of the market.

All the pieces are there including excellent external monitor support with the Duo, bluetooth etc.

Hmmm :)

Bishop likes this.
  2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought desktop mode was baked into Android starting with 10. What happens when you plug it into a monitor over USB-C now?

3. desertlap

it basically sort of mirrors one of the displays, though at full resolution and aspect ratio of the display connected

dstrauss and violajack like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Still the difference in a bacon and egg breakfast: the chicken makes a contribution, the pig makes a commitment.

5. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

IIRC Microsoft has said that for screens 9” or 10” or larger they believe Windows is the optimal OS. I think this was in response to questions about why the Neo was Windows rather than Android (especially since Android seems like it would be a faster route to market for Neo). Not saying Duo Continuum won’t happen, but it would somewhat undermine their PC partners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This sounds awfully familiar. Where have I heard it before? :vbconfused:

Steve S, dstrauss, Kumabjorn and 3 others like this.
  7. desertlap

I'm sure you are correct and that its broadly based. eg. MS only charged you for office on mobile if the display was greater than 10 inches. Just a bit of wishful thinking on my part as DEX is pretty impressive for what it is.

8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

sweet! this is gonna be my go to quote.

Sent from my CPH1943 using Tapatalk

dstrauss, Bishop and Bronsky like this.
  9. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

@darkmagistric apologies for the delay but here is a small clip of me using clipstudio.
    clipstudio is really awesome but could not get real work use because it needed samsung update, so it would not save, could not properly log in, no cut copy paste, etc.

watching videos in dual screen span mode is challenging because of the gap, drawing is not. when i draw i am focused on a specific region mostly and can adjust that to either screen i want, but now there is more room for the tools/toolbars.

unfortunately a year ago i switched to ipad (procreate) for all my work with art and tattooing needs, so aclimating myself to drawing on android take getting used to. if i could get a proper working clipstudio i could see myself putting my ipad down.

i actually was working a client project and needed to group layers to move them together, no go in artflow, but clipstudio does have it, soooo....yeah lets go clipstudio. lets get a working version for surface duo.

Marty likes this.
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Google had sort of an experimental desktop mode that they were working on, but nothing that was ready for prime-time (and it's hidden away from the end-user still). And even DeX is just sort of serviceable but not great in my opinion. It's limited by the lack of optimized apps. Even Microsoft Edge sucks in DeX (in my opinion), because it's still serving up mobile pages by default and lacks tons of features of its desktop counterpart.

I've said this before, but I still say that some type of Windows on Android (Android Subsystem for Windows based on their WSL naming convention??? o_O) subsystem to load up a full Windows desktop when connected to an external display would make this an instantly more interesting device for me. Hell, even if it was just desktop Edge and full desktop Office that'd make me 1000% more interested.

daddyfish and thierryb like this.