Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Steve S - is this the beginning of the developer world coming around?

darkmagistric and Bishop like this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Microsoft should've led with Battleship.

In other news, the new iPad Air s 12 mega pixel camera is hunky dory. What a difference ONE megapixel makes...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    dstrauss likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...is this the beginning of the developer world coming around?...>>

Time will tell, but this can't be bad for Duo...

<<...the new iPad Air s 12 mega pixel camera is hunky dory...>>

Shocked, I tell you; I'm shocked...!!!

Bishop likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So another observation after using the duo again for real work scenarios. I used it primarily as a single screen device for several reasons and realized ho wmuch more generally useful a 5:4 aspect ratio is for general productivity.

I think that the race for ever bigger screens which as a side effect has also produced ever taller and narrower screens has become like purely counting megapixels in camera, far from the total story

Even my iPhone seems overly constricted as I switched back to it in the evening for personal use.

A good reminder that with modern tech, true usability and quality is never defined by a single spec.

6. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Agreed. It has been funny to see YouTube creators moving to 18:9 the last two years to follow the trend in smart phone screens, even though it seems to require additional post-processing work and-- more importantly-- much of their content is a talking head that doesn't really benefit from a wide shot. And now more phones are heading to 21:9, which is even worse. I find maps to be especially less useful on these aspect ratios, but reading also suffers (for me; perhaps others don't mind the very narrow columns).

dstrauss and Bishop like this.
  7. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Very true.... on a similar note; here's where the expanding vertical trend may have had its infancy that I'm suddenly thinking about....
    Blast from the past article on my website:
    http://www.exoid.com/why-a-4-inch-screen-isnt-a-problem-for-the-new-iphone/

dellaster, Chris_Kez and nnthemperor like this.
  8. Chris_Kez

If only Google had been this quick to support Windows Phone instead of actively sabotaging it. Then again Microsoft shot themselves in the foot by trying to charge a licensing fee, and by rebooting the platform multiple times. Plenty of blame to go around. It seems like Duo will face fewer headwinds of this sort, at least.

nnthemperor, dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  9. Chris_Kez

Another review who seems to really get the Duo, and note this up-front comment about his experience that really help to frame things:
    Kevin C. Tofel: "I used Pocket PCs and PDAs back in 2001. After that, I used UMPCs, or ultra-mobile PCs, which were small Windows devices with 800 x 480 resolution touch screens that had crappy resistive touch capabilities. At that time, I was a Microsoft MVP in Touch & Tablet PCs."

Bishop and JoeS like this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Nice: this quote got a LOL out of me: "Personal note: People, please don't watch full-screen videos across both screens. That's just stupid because it obviously isn't a big screen when opened; it's two screens with a hinge. Would you buy two small TVs and put them side by side to watch one program? No, you'd buy a large TV." Perfect :p