Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:p - now put that on the carpenter's pencil...

On a serious note - Zagg has protective skins front and back - they are the new faux glass ones, but that should give you better shatter resistance than the regular skins.

2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

[​IMG]

Bronsky and Chris_Kez like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Those are the ones I ended up ordering. I'll report back when I get them

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Bishop likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Zagg has protective skins front and back...>>

Passing observation. My BB finally put up the Duo display. The WindowsCentral link above says the Zagg protectors are $40. The price at our BB was $114 for 4 protectors...!!!

6. desertlap

Well the old saw about perception being reality likely applies here, regardless of actual circumstances.

Despite my back and forth with @JoeS that there are higher quality single sensor, single lens camera assemblies that MS could have used they didn't I'm sure for two reasons.

One, and not to be discounted, is that they decided who the likely buyer was and figured that a "good enough" camera was sufficient. That user likely takes mostly "documentation" type photos at a job site or meeting etc. and highest quality and special capabilities aren't needed and arguably could make it more complex to use.

Not to mention that in the world of corporate provided devices, it's not uncommon for IT to restrict or even completely block the use of the camera(s) for often dubious security concerns. I think that is extremely misguided but what do I know.

Second and perhaps more significantly, many consumers and hardcore users have been taught to expect sophisticated multi lens camera setups, because that's one of the ways both Apple and Samsung have differentiated their devices and taught consumers to expect them.

And again despite the argument about sensors, the highest end ones now come with a camera hump. And for the duo the only practical place to put that would be on one of the backs.

That creates two issues. One is aesthetic, it ruins the polished "surface look" that was expected.

The second is controlling/using it. So the logical configuration would be on one of the backs that was outward facing when it was closed. The problem is that without even a minimal outer display or control panel, there is no way practical way to frame or take a shot.

So in the same way that MS messages that the Duo isn't a phone, it really isn't a camera either. Though telephony and photography functions are there.

I'm not arguing the merits or downsides here, just stating what I observe. And honestly, I still find having to open the Duo to answer a call a significant usability miss.

But that's just me so YMMV :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    darkmagistric and dstrauss like this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I think you're largely right about why the camera wasn't a focus (;)). Four security scenarios to consider:
    1. Any "nuclear" workspace (federal export control violations - felonies)
    2. Any defense contractor workspace (national defense - even longer list of felonies)
    3. Any workspace processing financial information/transactions or HIPPA data (data breach liabilities - AND felonies)
    4. Any high-stakes/rapidly evolving R&D workspace (industrial espionage)
    Add all the subcontractors working in, around and supporting any of the 4 above, and it's something approaching critical mass. I still believe those considerations helped speed the demise of Google Glass.

Steve S, dstrauss and desertlap like this.
  8. desertlap

Exactly and likely a key potential Duo demographic.

Bishop likes this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I forget, but did you reject the solution "pocket it inside-out"? With screen protectors if you must?

lovelaptops likes this.
  10. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried the bumper; but it made the friction of getting it out of my pocket too much to deal with; I also felt like it made the already wide device just too wide. It also does not protect the hinge edge when folded anyways. Needless to say; I couldn't continue to live with the bumper on. (If I was using it primarily as a tablet it would have been fine; but since it has to be my phone as well.... )

Anyways;
    I cut my own vinyl bumper.... Will be ordering a vinyl cutout for the back surfaces from sopiguard (ebay) They have some duo options; and I have used them on all my other surface devices (Wife's Surface Book, Kids Surface Gos) and they are a dbrand competitor in my book with more color options. I will be doing the "Ghost Pearl" option.

Anyways; that plastic edge has the potential to stain (I was already getting some bluejean staining on the corners; so thus the vinyl wrap on the edge... I'm pleased with my results and it is an incredibly easy DIY job since it is just single width strips you need to cut with some rounded corners; I did it easily with scissors and a cutting board.

Attached Files: