Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's because Microsoft's Outlook app isn't using the Android Calendar storage function. So Outlook's calendar is completely siloed off from the rest of the device, meaning that if you install calendar widgets, or Google Assistant, or anything else, it can't see your calendar events. If you use an app that does use Android's Calendar storage then Google Assistant on the phone can access all of your events.

That being said, if you use a Google Home device (like a speaker or smart display) that really can only connect to Google Calendar.

Bishop likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Now that they are both out I can´t help but think that the Galaxy Fold Z2 5G got the aspect ratio wrong. It could easily be a cm or two (almost an inch for you imperialists) when folded, thus the double when opened without inflicting on the UX, actually enhancing it.

nnthemperor, dstrauss and Bishop like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think you a word. Wider? Taller? Thicker? I'm thinking you mean wider.

Kumabjorn and Marty like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Chris_Kez likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Yes, wider. Don’t post before your morning cup of Joe.

nnthemperor, Bishop and JoeS like this.
  7. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

I can't blame them; no one-- at any point-- anywhere, from Redmond to the furthest reaches of the Microsoft fan-base has speculated that this will be some kind of breakout hit. The constant drumbeat is that this is a niche device. Still, it does have echoes of that heartbreaking epic Lumia Owners' Lament.

Steve S, desertlap and Bishop like this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think there are other factors at play here, first and foremost that a case at least in the conventional sense we are used to with a single slab smart phone don't make as much sense.

When we were letting select people look at the duo in the company , many found even the MS supplied bumper extraneous. And to go further, use case (pun intended ) makes a huge difference. e.g one case we had basically covered the entire back(s) of the device which was great for using it flat or in "book mode" but was obviously worthless when using it with the second display fully 360 degrees to the other side,.

Not to mention that despite the real thinness of the device itself, ironically any case, even the very thin ones, felt overly bulky to most who tried it.

At @Steve S suggestion I ordered a skin for mine and I think that may at least for now be the only workable option for many.

PS: This is not new, with the iPhone, even Apple as well as many other tried the book type covers that folded over the screen when in your pocket. While they did serve a function in protecting the screen, based on what multiple vendors told us, they sold poorly generally and also had high return rates from those that did buy.

TLDR: Companies and users are still figuring this out and it's early days, not to mention it's still an unproven device in the broader market.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    darkmagistric and dstrauss like this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Easily remedied.

[​IMG]

lovelaptops, Chris_Kez and dstrauss like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Agreed @dstrauss, to wit:

upload_2020-9-15_9-10-13.png