Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Here is the updated work from home with the Surface Duo taking the note taking duties -

[​IMG]

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's the matryoshka of displays.. Question, is that loop on the right a ring light for better lighting during Teams video calls? And if so do you like it and if so do you have a link? I just got one that I'm not happy with.

daddyfish likes this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It helps even out the light on Team, Chime and Meet calls (we work with all 3 as customers), it's a cheap one -

Amazon.com: LED Ring Light 10" with Tripod Stand & Phone Holder for Live Streaming & YouTube Video, Dimmable Desk Makeup Ring Light for Photography, Shooting with 3 Light Modes & 10 Brightness Level

Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  4. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

If you segregated those profiles to separate screens then flipped it all the way open you'd have a Surface Mullet (business in front, personal in the back). :p
    The main reason I keep separate devices is I like the freedom of leaving the work phone at home and not having that stuff follow me around. That said, I do miss being able to see my work calendar now that COVID has thoroughly scrambled work and home time. We use G Suite and Google no longer seems to let you share your calendar unless you make it public. On a related note, I love the new Outlook feature that lets your work calendar pull in free/busy status from your personal calendar.
    Once a Lumia fan, always a Lumia fan.

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've seen a couple of actual Google employees using the Duo with Duo. They refer to it as the " Duo Squared"

Bishop and dstrauss like this.
  6. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

Was this review already posted here? (did not feel like scrolling through 10 pages again :rolleyes:)
    Personally found this perhaps the best review so far I think considering it also compares dimensions with other phones, aspect ratio, pen comparison test, MS gestures etc:

, nice comparison shot with the Pro X

jnjroach likes this.
  7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, my Pixel 4 XL has a 2x optical zoom, but over the weekend I was taking photos at 8x that look better than the Duo at 1x.

dstrauss, JoeS and dellaster like this.
  8. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Feel free to double check my work folks. Here are my notes from trying to find the most comprehensive voice commands solution for SDuo:

upload_2020-9-14_16-19-44.png

Microsoft picked a hell of a time to deprecate Cortana. She once would have done it all. While using the iPhone, I used my outlook.com account for the iPhone's Mail and Calendar apps and installed the Outlook app. Siri would handle it all, and it would populate on my MS apps. [EDIT: Google Reminder app no longer has to be installed as a separate app; reminders appear on Google's calendar but don't appear on the Outlook calendar even when the Google account is added to Outlook.]

Alexa? I don't have a single Echo product - anywhere. Am I really going to add ANOTHER voracious data sucker to my phone? Somebody talk me off the ledge...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    JoeS, Chris_Kez and Bronsky like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Great review Lisa. Thanks as usual.

When my aaaa battery in the Go2's pen ran out I took the opportunity to go look at the Duo. What a beauty it is!