Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Temptation is my middle name.
    So I felt relieved that it isn't available here yet. But yes, there is certainly something that appeals to me. Not the price though. Guessing that once it arrives here they'll charge 189 000 for it.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I totally agree with you. I've stopped buying my tech gadgets here. The prices are quite crazy compared to the US.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@MobileTechReview Lisa, that is one of the best and more importantly balanced reviews I've seen of the Duo. I was going to say surprisingly, but actually that's typical for you, unfortunately I can't say the same for the majority of the blogosphere.

This review also actually addresses the whole, "it's not a phone" argument pretty well.

So a declarative for me to start. It is a phone! And for me the reason is simple, it simply doesn't make sense to carry both this and an iPhone (or a Note for that matter).

However since all three devices are much more than "phones" the real question for me (and many I've talked with since its release) is if the other features outweigh what is honestly, one of its poorer primary functions which is using it as a phone.

I thought back to other potential paradigm shifts in recent memory such as the original iPhone was for me, when I switched from a Blackberry, but also when I switched from a Razr to the blackberry.

In both cases one of the biggest drawbacks for the switch was battery life., However the overall increased functionality, such as with the blackberry originally freeing me from having to take my laptop everywhere just to get email , every time , because the company that I was working in at the time was incredibly email centric.

Again a similar story with the switch from blackberry to iPhone. Again the loss of battery life, and a less robust at the time email implementation ,but the incredible utility of having a real web browser in a device I could hold in my hand. It was far from perfect, but still a huge leap over the alternative.

Which brings me back to the duo. I've seen already in my role some significant productivity gains over my iPhone like what I posted about Friday. However I'm not sure that its enough, yet.....

So one last thing, now that I'm out from NDA I can reveal that I had access to one a couple of weeks prior to release. The NDA related to that was by far the strictest and most comprehensive i've seen yet and why I didn't reveal it here. But the significant upside was a focus and engagement with me about what I thought, what issues I've had, what I liked and what I didn't and so on. It bodes well for their support of the product line and shows that if nothing else MS learned some lessons from the Pro X launch.

So once again a lengthy Monday musing.....take it as such :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  4. desertlap

BTW: We hear there is a Duo optimized version of Slack in the works. We don't use it ourselves, but several of our customers do and really like it.

alaskajoel likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

From all the reviews I've seen it is clear this is an "enterprise" camera - good results for Teams, Zoom, Google Duo, etc. (much like the Surface Go 2) but NOT a daily shooter. That's the gist of my problem - I've become such a phone camera snob that I nearly jumped to the Galaxy Note 20u for the 5x optical zoom (in fact, for me out to 20x hybrid it was extremely good).

6. desertlap

One of the reviews I saw called the Duo camera "utilitarian" and I think that's accurate, and again all of MS messaging is that the camera is there as more of a utility versus a primary feature.

I think it goes back to who these companies see as primary user models. It make sense that Apple and Samsung put much more emphasis on the camera, because they are consumer oriented companies and one of the 'mass appeal" features early on was "hey you don't have to carry your point and shoot camera all the time anymore" .

Where as the duo camera is most definitely "good enough" for the users that MS envisioned . Again we are the exception here and like @dstrauss I am a heavy user of my iPhone camera becasue for me it did eliminate the point and shoot that I used to carry around.

So that being said, I've used my Duo camera for a handful of work related tasks and yes it is "good enough" for those uses.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Bishop likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ah - but there's the rub - I would have to look at the Duo as a replacement for my tablet, not my phone, or I'd be juggling 4 devices. Even in that role, I am running out of pants pockets, and to be an effective solution I need to drag along the Surface Pen as well (which of course has no pocket clip).

I know, I know, I'm as bad as a cheap bottle of Ripple from the wine of the week store. I should just emulate my idol, @Bronsky, trade the iPhone 11 Pro for a Note (love the Note 10 size, but Note 20u feature set) and move on.

dellaster likes this.
  8. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Am I the only one still carrying separate phones for work and personal use? For me, I think the Duo might hit just the right balance of size and productivity that it would replace my work phone and laptop on the train, on day trips, and even extended lunches or jaunts about the city. The penalty, such as it is, would be carrying a slightly larger work phone all of the time. Being stuck at home for the foreseeable future, though, I don't see a Duo happening any time soon. :(

dstrauss likes this.
  9. desertlap

@Chris_Kez I just now noticed your sig with "reformed Lumia fan" :p:D

Seriously though, if your company uses intune or some other mobile device management software, you can take advantage of another underreported feature which is the ability to have two completely different and separate user profiles and accounts on the device.

I'm doing that with mine with separate work and personal accounts and it's almost flawless. Everything from user accounts and logins to App Store credentials and installed apps is unique to each profile. Including layouts , wifi preferences and so on.
    To give one specific example. I have both personal and work provided O365 subscriptions and they are totally separate from each other though they reside on the same device. Very slick!

PS: That should even extend to LTE with one profile using the physical sim and one using the e-sim, but I've had some issues with the e-sim that I haven't had time to resolve yet.

thierryb and Chris_Kez like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I have two separate devices. BUT....

Phone calls from the work phone are forwarded to the personal. I managed to get Verizon Message+ to install on the SDuo* (personal) and provision VM+ to read and send the texts from the work phone number. The company has embraced O365, so I can access my email and calendar very well from Edge. In fact the way the Edge browser renders O365 Outlook for web on the SDuo is outstanding; I can have one tab with my email and another with my work calendar. I can also tie my work calendar to the SDuo Launcher feed.

NOW I don't have to lug my work phone with me nearly as often. Down 1 phone and down 1 iPad. Thanks SDuo!

BTW @Chris_Kez - Thanks for the idea. I may change my tag to "Unreconstructed Lumia Devotee."

(*FWIW: I persist in using SDuo to remain distinct from the Google Duo app which is supposed to be comparable to FaceTime.)

jnjroach and Chris_Kez like this.