Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I dropped it in the process of opening it to answer a call...>>

@desertlap : There's no denying that the exterior glass surface of the Duo is slippery. You might consider skinning your Duo. A textured skin can significantly improve the "grip-ability," something that I noticed years ago when I skinned one of my Surface Pros. I have a Duo skin on order from Dbrand (Swarm) and I expect that it will help prevent accidents like yours...

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What I am afraid is that each one of us is an edge case as far as mainstream users are concerned.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Steve S Yes I think that might be a good idea because slipperiness was a factor. I'll check out the Amazon and possibly brand

6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My Chinese phone just developed hardware problems today (the fingerprint reader and mic stopped working) and there's no way to repair or no tech support, so it means getting a new phone. Fantasized for a few minutes about buying the SDuo, but snapped myself out of that fantasy. No way I'm forking out $1400+ delivery to Japan on a phone. Why didn't MS makes it $800? It would have been an easy decision. Think I'm gonna learn to use my 8" P205 as a phone.
    Here's hoping the SDuo price falls next year.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I did that for a while with mine. Talk about pocketability challenges.... :D

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'll check out the Amazon and possibly brand...>>

One nice thing about DBrand is their use of 3M films. I've had a lot of experience with 3M and their films are excellent quality. In particular, their adhesives always seem to have the right blend of adhesion and long life; the adhesives don't harden so if you ever have second thoughts the films can be cleanly removed without too much effort...

You might also check out StickerBoy; they haven't announced a Duo skin yet, but they probably will...

Chris_Kez likes this.
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly! Having a second thought about that. Tried before and gave up after a day. Might hang on this time since the only other option is to get a new phone.
    I'm surprised the GN10+ prices are still holding their own on eBay. Was expecting a sub $600 range.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

10. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

\
    Hadn't posted it here yet; so thanks Joe.

New video on how to use the camera reliably:

I gotta say; I'm loving my Surface Duo way more than I ever thought I would. At this point... I think it is the Galaxy Note20 Ultra that is going back.... I didn't think this would happen.