Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

YUGE get in the OneNote UI

I wrote early on one of the key decision points for me would be how well Microsoft upped their game on the OneNote UI. I've complained for years about OneNote on Android not having features that existed on iOS. Looks like MS is finally bringing better alignment. The image below is a screenshot. Note the Full Screen ModeToggle. YUGE. MASSIVE upgrade.

upload_2020-9-12_9-53-0.png

dv8nathan, JoeS and thierryb like this.
  2. Bishop

Work Around for OneNote Dark Mode Issue: (Picked this up from Reddit)

The current version of OneNote on Duo defaults to system mode on Dark/Light Mode with no ability to toggle. If your Duo is set to system Dark Mode, OneNote will be too. If you're like me, you don't want OneNote in Dark Mode. Do this:
    1. Swipe down from the top twice to get the full settings panel on the Duo.
    2. Click on the Pencil Icon.
    3. Add Dark Mode to the panel so you can toggle back and forth
    4. Toggle to Light Mode.
    5. If OneNote was open, close it and reopen.
    6. OneNote is now in Light Mode
    7. Swipe down twice to get the full settings panel.
    8. Toggle to Dark Mode.
    9. OneNote stays in Light Mode until you restart it.
    Let's hope MS fixes this soon.

Bronsky likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Good sir, I protest! In America, that is our one unalienable right. :p

(And common, isn't buying something the one thing that should give us the right complain to about it? ;))

4. Bishop

:vbbiggrin: Aah, you put your finger on it. Products only succeed in the market because they sell. Caveat emptor. The reviewers have it right here: Don't like it don't buy it. See e.g. Surface RT.:vbeek:

Remember all those "by using/clicking you agree to...." for tech products? It's consent. Buy it and then complain? Sure, you can complain. That's like asking someone to marry you and complaining about their personality for the next 50 years. :vbmad: Or buying a company's stock, cashing the dividend checks and constantly demanding they change their business model.

5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I understand your concern but for me it is an opportunity... to have soon a second hand one as probably my next pda after the galaxy tab A with Spen 2019.

Steve S and Bishop like this.
  6. Bishop

OneNote Duo Screen Size Comparisons:

FWIW: I use a number of ON templates and usually set up a Notebook and Sections with pages sized to the device I'm using. I do this to avoid fidgeting around and pinch/zoom/unzoom which I am convinced is actually a deterrent to digital productivity. The poor penmanship is on me, not the capabilities of the software/device. Here is my scaling template for the 4 screen/page combinations on Duo:

upload_2020-9-12_10-35-34.png

Chris_Kez and JoeS like this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

A couple of observations:
    • Although the Duo is Android, I've caught myself more than a few times having a Windows "mindset" as I open it and start to use it. I have to pause for a moment and "reset" my brain to think in Android mentality before I continue. Maybe I've lived in the Windows ecosystem too long, but the form factor just screams "Windows!" to my subconscious. I wonder if this sort of mental interference could be a factor in why so many reviewers seem to dislike various aspects of Duo UI...? Maybe that's too psychological for a Saturday morning!
    • As my posting indicates, I've had issues finding some of the settings options on the Duo, whereas I never had this issue with my previous smartphones. It suddenly occurred to me last night that it's the form factor. The slab smartphone, with its narrow but long screen, is better suited to displaying long option menus, whereas the Duo's wider, shorter screens require more scrolling to see the same menus. I keep having to remind myself to scroll to see if there any options below the last visible one...
    As these comments indicate, I'm finding that there's a little more to get used to on the Duo than just two screens. There's a more subtle paradigm change at work here. I really hope that Microsoft keeps a steady flow of updates to the Duo (as opposed to ProX 'ing it) because this thing has obvious potential. I'm excited...

JoeS and Bishop like this.
  8. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

interview with panos:

later

jnjroach likes this.
  9. Bishop

There are some Android settings not available on Duo, even in MS Launcher - at this point.

10. Bishop

**RANT**

Why am I forced to the Google default calendar in the MICROSOFT Launcher Feed Page on Duo?:mad: