Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Wonder what happens if you connect it to a USB-C hub/dock? Would it recognize keyboards?

...never mind. Saw from another post.

Just to save this one...

Interesting to see folks come around to my question. How does this device fit in with the variety of currently available devices? Especially if you're tied to an iPhone or other consumer-centric features (e.g. high quality camera / NFC).

So what use cases favor the Duo over the Surface Go 2? Seems like the SG2 would also make a great moleskine notebook.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

either but not both according to MS. OTOH I haven't been able to get it to work even on e sim on AT&T as of yet

3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

3rd/Last for today: Things I wish I'd done earlier

Your Phone App on Windows 10

• Takes a minute to set up, scan a QR code, confirm permissions, etc.
    • The productivity of being able to respond to texts etc without having to stop and hunt the phone will be huge. (Somebody around here already said that, and I agree.)
    Go through the Tips
    • I usually ignore the Tips apps/sections on most new devices
    • DON'T DO IT. Go through them; you'll be glad you did
    • The first item in the Tips gives about 8 on how to use gestures. Should make it easier for folks.
    Having spent the day with Duo
    There are some nagging things not unexpected on a first gen device that is stretching to shift the paradigm.

I'm going to keep it because I will go from two phones, an iPad, Kindle and a laptop down to just the SDuo on most travel, and the laptop only about 40% of the time.

As for many of the negative reviewers they write as if theirs is the only valid use case:
    Vendor: "I'm combining two types of tools to create new possibilities for getting things done."
    Reviewer: "DON'T BUY IT! It doesn't have the same handle as the other tools!"
    Vendor: "That's kind of the point."
    Reviewer: "But the other guys have it; and besides, I NEED the bottle opener you left off!"

[​IMG]

SDuo won't appeal to some users and their needs. Go with Samsung, go with Apple. Microsoft is onto something here.

Bronsky, thierryb, Chris_Kez and 3 others like this.
  4. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

GoogleFi eSIM works for me. However it's not DSDS (Dual SIM Dual Standby) like my Pixel 4 XL. I can't have both SIMs active to receive calls and use data from one. Also Visible (Verizon MVNO) does not work. SIM is recognized as a Verizon and has the wrong APN settings that I can't modify. Mint Mobile (T-mobile MVNO) works fine.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

iFixit teardown resulted in a two out of ten repairability score.

Edit: oops, previously posted by Steve S, but without highlighting the repairability score.

Steve S likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm not going to stake my (non existent) reputation on it, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see that functionality implemented in a software upgrade in the not to distant future.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Steve S likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

One interesting finding is that, contrary to earlier internet speculation, the 'giant' bezels are not there to make room for the logic boards:
    [​IMG]
    The speculation was based on the fact that every other phone maker has trouble cracking the 6mm mark, how could MS do it in less than 5mm...without cheating?

Well they did not.

The z-height of the entire screen assembly, chassis, and motherboard/battery, is only 4.9mm (while preserving structural integrity on a moving design more complicated than a smartphone slab).

That's an engineering feat in itself (worthy of far more accolades than it's currently getting imo), but it also leaves open the possibility that the Duo 2 will feature symmetric bezels, for even sleeker look and/or even more productivity space. Go Surface team! :thumbsup:

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Marty - good spot and great observation.

Although I love looking at the iFixit teardowns, I don't understand why we still have repairability scores in 2020. The obsession with thinness equals the 60's and Twiggy - it's not fair any longer to "grade" computing devices on a subjective repair standard - yes, I understand some corporate purchases are based on that, but let's be honest - ever since we started sealing screens to the frame with glue, we gave up the right to worry about it.

9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Slight amendment: ever since we started BUYING devices with screens glued down we gave up the right to COMPLAIN ...

10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I had my first real work day with the duo with a couple of real positives and one distressing negative.

So the positives, First is that I was using a beta of one of our custom apps. rewritten to take advantage of the duos two screens. Without going in to boring detail. It basically sucks the data from one of customers devices and lets you view it and manipulate it to a limited extent. The real wow was being able to look at the data on one screen while chatting with one of our data scientists on the other. Darn near a perfect use case!

The second positive (which had been a concern for me) was battery life. I basically used it all day and in active use and at 6:30 pm I still had over 35% battery life left. In a similar situation the s20 I used a few months ago was down to about 10% battery in the same scenario. So win for the Duo!

Lastly the negative(s). I have mentioned that our devices are commonly used in very challenging environments and the Duo was less than stellar here, specific to phone calls. First is that the speaker doesn't get loud enough when ringing, especially closed. The second and potentially far worse issue was that I dropped it in the process of opening it to answer a call. Fortunately it landed on my foot so it didn't suffer any visible damage, but if it had hit the very rough ground I'm not sure what would have been the result. BTW: the bumper helped quite a bit too.

However the point of the above is that yes, part of it is admittedly my own clumsiness, but also that the simple extra step of having to open it to answer the call made me fumble it. And in this case a headset, Bluetooth or wired wasn't an option due to the gear I had to wear.

So that's my day one with the Duo. And yes I'm fully aware that I'm an edge case here. (That's actually true generally, but that's another story:p:D )

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020