Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes exactly, or if you are a critic, they are once again imitating the iPhone /iPad

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I like the Office app overall (so much better than the OneNote app) and I like how they incorporated Office Lens and Sticky Notes into it. I just still hate how you can't open up two Word files at the same time (and I don't even have a Duo, where I'd be even more POed by it). I want to copy and paste from one document into another all the time and it only closes out of one document to open the other.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Camera related question. Anyone side load the GCam app to see how that might change things?

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Are they perhaps going for a file/document-centric view...>>

Yes, undoubtedly. But to me, this clashes with the compose / create aspect of Duo. You should be able to initiate a new document relatively directly, without having to excavate the UI. Word, Excel and PowerPoint should be directly accessible once the Office icon is opened...

5. Steve S

Has anyone figured out how to pull contacts from the SIM card? I can't seem to find any options for this in System or elsewhere.

6. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think anybody has posted the Fastboot or Recovery screens yet... here they are...

Attached Files:

alaskajoel and thierryb like this.
  7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I admittedly don't know which contacts app Microsoft has preinstalled, and I'm not on my PC which has the Duo emulator installed at the moment. But I know on the Google Contacts app, the way to import from the SIM card is to go to the Contacts app settings (not in the device/system settings), and then there's an import section, which has the option to import from the SIM card. I'd suggest maybe looking for something similar in the Microsoft-installed Contacts app?

8. Steve S

<<...I'd suggest maybe looking for something similar in the Microsoft-installed Contacts app?...>>

First thing I tried. If there was an option there, I'm missing it. On my GN9, there was a fairly explicit option for this...

9. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

This is where a feature like iOS 3D Touch is really useful. Imagine you press the Office icon with a little extra force and up pops an overlay with options to create different document types or select from a short list of the most recent documents. Even without 3D Touch, perhaps tapping the Office icon could open the app into a similar set of task-oriented options. But given a choice essentially between File>New and File>Open, I would assume that MS has telemetry telling them that the latter is much more frequently used, and thus why they went that direction.

EDIT: can you post a screen shot of what it looks like after you tap the Office app? I'm curious. Also, if tapping the Office icon just brought up the individual app icons wouldn't it just be a folder?

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

What I did was on my Note 10+ I used Google Backup of my contacts (which had an option to gram the contacts on the SIM) by-passing Samsung's Contacts, I did the same for Messages.