Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I get that point, but the Duos multi-monitor phone set up isn’t exactly the same as a dual monitor laptop or desktop set up. I mean yeah you could have instagram and facebook open at the same time and that’s kind of nice at times, but that right there is the problem. Most of the usage one could get out of the Duo is more nice to have, but not something you need to have.

I use VS code a lot and when I’m trying to reverse engineer a web app repository off github with 10+ JavaScript pages, or follow a tutorial on YouTube, while having a deployed page up with the console log, etc the utility of having more monitors in that instance is more necessity then luxury. Because of the inherent limitations still with an android phone, and the small screen size, its multitasking potential is still now where near what a much larger 2- screen windows device could offer.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@jhoff80 : Thanks ; that was the hint that I needed...

3. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, Its like my existence was created by the universe to cater to you!

My Inking Review:

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Cameron - awesome review and appreciate be catered to - can't say that every day. Particularly your opening comments on the BB experience.

Seems like there was a good bit of lag behind the pen point, or is that just the video angle?

Thanks again for taking one for the team!

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I had the same thought in that video watching for lag. Pausing during a line from left to right it looks like the line is about half an inch behind the tip of the pen?

pen.PNG

Chris_Kez likes this.
  6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Has anyone got the Kindle App shown in the Demos?

7. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Regarding Lag.... watch further on to when I get into OneNote right around 8 minute mark... lag is noticeably reduced in onenote... I think it is the post processing and prediction that IbisPaint X is throwing on that slows it down a bit.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Never mind when I re—open the Kindle app it is working as expected

9. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You found what will makes me buy this product one day.
    since my first Palm III and the capacity to connect it to internet, all my cellphone where used with pda and was my first usage of my phones, then my smartphones where pda first before being phones. I barely use my phone for calling, but I have always reached the limit of my data plan. I do not need to speak, I need to interact with the world.

Chris_Kez, dstrauss and negative1 like this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Some scattered comments based on a few hours of use:
    • Everyone has already commented on the quality and construction, and everyone is right. There's nothing much I can add except to agree; the Duo just feels really good in your hands.
    • Guess what? The very first log in that you are asked to do is for Google. Since I have already sold my soul (GN9) it didn't bother me, but it wasn't obvious that you could bypass it. The Microsoft log in was a couple of screens later in the process. The start-up process was easy, but after you approve all the access permissions, you feel like you're naked in front of the world!
    • I did some inking with my New Surface (SP5) pen. In my humble opinion, the inking was OK. I didn't experience an objectionable lag (was using OneNote, IIRC; I covered a lot of ground this afternoon, so I might have been in a different app...). Curiously, the pen color pallet was limited to reds, blues, green, tans/brown and shades of gray. No yellow or other "exotic" colors; about 12 fixed color options. No "custom color" option that I could find.
    • Gestures (flicks, etc) generally worked fluidly for me. Again, whatever lag there was didn't trouble me. Figuring out exactly where to start a flick, however, took some experimenting. The little tutorials shown during start-up weren't very informative on that issue and the Duo seems a little sensitive to exactly where flicks start, at least in some cases.
    • So far, I'm not overly impressed by the Swift keyboard. The keyboard is arranged, I guess, for thumb-typing, and so the KB is compressed to one side or the other in some apps. I had a lot of errors trying to type on it. Sliding worked better, but the KB does not recognize many of the words that I use, so... back to typing...
    • The Office implementation is very unintuitive and really needs to be fixed. The Word, Excel, etc. icons are buried THREE levels deep in the UI!!!... Office icon > + > Documents > Word, Excel... Why Microsoft would do this is beyond me. On my GN9, I had individual icons that invoked these apps directly. On the Duo, I couldn't even FIND the icons. It took a helpful hint from @jhoff80 to finally solve the mystery. (Thanks, Jhoff!)
    • Curiously, Office would not / could not open an existing PowerPoint file. It would start, and then abruptly close. No error messages that I could see. I'll need to troubleshoot this later.
    • The camera app stuttered a bit, especially when swapping to the external orientation ("back side" camera). The actual pictures were OK, but I need time to try more lighting conditions.
    • Downloaded Adobe Reader and Kindle but haven't had time to try them out, yet.
    • So far, the fingerprint reader has worked surprisingly well for me. I don't know about anyone else, but FP readers typically don't work with my fingers or work for a few days and then don't. Time will tell if the Duo FP reader is any different. PS: ergonomically, I think your thumb is the best finger to use.
    • Outlook set up easily.
    • I have contacts on my SIM card, but so far I haven't figured out how to load them into Contacts. It didn't happen during the start-up process...
    • In all of the above the wider screens (portrait mode) made many apps more convenient to view and navigate. Much better, to me, than the smartphone slab.
    That's what I can offer for now. Maybe more to come after a day or two...