Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe Rutherford checks out these forums? Several of us have used the term "divisive" when describing the duo multiple times :cool:

And he does hit upon the same thing that I've discovered already, love it or hate it you can't deny its a quality built piece of kit.

PS: MS did a pretty great job on optimizing their own apps for the Duo. If only more 3rd parties were on board or even came close. One thing that's especially crash prone is the gesture to take an app from one display to spanning both. Failure to success rate is about 3:1

PPS: Google Duo has a couple of nifty Duo specific optimizations in the UI (as it should given it's name sake)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It certainly is. Quality and svelte beauty. Alas, its utility gives me a miss—I neither hate it nor love it; I’m indifferent yet admiring from afar, like an exquisite sports car for which I have no use and can’t reasonably afford.

lovelaptops, nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Mine just arrived - 270MB update during setup - more later, ironically, I have a meeting with Intel and Microsoft for some Ignite Content I'm creating for them :)

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Maybe I had the wrong impression, but I don't see the Office apps. If I open Office, I see some documents that reside on OneDrive, but that's about it. Can you only get to the Office apps through an existing document? Does Office need to be installed...?

5. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

now that the masses have it, its better to dive into the smaller details,
    (and probably what's been said several times already now).

the more people think of it less like a phone, but as a productivity tool, the more they could like it: bears repeating (thanks to JHOFF80 : http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/surface-duo-discussion-thread.75238/page-165#post-551091)
    https://www.xda-developers.com/microsoft-surface-duo-review/

Microsoft Surface Duo Review: A multi-tasker’s dream

All you need to know boiled down:
    later

Chris_Kez likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Another disaster 19 years on…

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

But how far away can actual foldable Kindle be? Now that there is proof of concept, surely Amazon will implement it in e-ink.

dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm still thinking for users who don't have a smart watch, this could end up being an awkward device. Any time you want to quickly check a message or notification, you have to open the Duo. Or keep it in your pocket unfolded, which is of course an option.

I'm truly curious whether solution will be a) buy a smart watch, b) carry the duo "inside out", or c) "open the dang thing every time". Of course there's option d) return it to the store :p

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This DUO uses the Office App to launch the individual apps of Word, Excel and PowerPoint

Bishop likes this.
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There should be a big plus button at the bottom of the Office app that then pops up options including document. That last one is where you create new documents.