Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sounds like we need the Genie...

dv8nathan and Bishop like this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't know. Typically I'd be right there with you complaining about tech reviewers (like the reviewers who were trying to use the Pro X to fit their heavily video-editing workflows), but in this case pretty much all of the reviews are in line with what I'd consider dealbreakers. A poor to mediocre camera (marred by a buggy app), no ability to see your notifications without fully opening the displays (seriously, how does Peek mode not show notification icons?!), no NFC for payments, an inability to use third-party keyboards or launchers, and the overall bugginess.

The Medium post from Owen Williams feels like the person who is most excited for it, and even he doesn't really describe a use case for it other than replacing Kindle.

And nobody even is getting into the Microsoft software problems that have existed for a while so I feel like they're being too generous in some ways. Edge is poorly optimized for a large display like you'd get when spanning both screens. Like as an example, who wants a mobile / AMP view of a page when you're viewing on a 9" screen? I wouldn't, that's for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you all love your devices, but this feels to me in a lot of ways like the people who were clinging to Windows Phone for years longer than they should have - yeah, some things are great, but you still need to make too many tradeoffs.

dellaster likes this.
  4. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

since everyone has covered it. its predictable the windowscentral counterpoint
    androidcentral came to the same conclusions pretty much:
    https://www.androidcentral.com/microsoft-surface-duo-review

even with the mess that android is, it would still be a substantial upgrade
    in some areas for me.

however my windows phones are still kicking, was at a place the other day, and
    the lumia 650 and camera came to the rescue, had to fill out some forms, and
    use a QR code scanned. so maybe i don't need to switch just yet.

later

5. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Man I want one of these. But I don't want it to be my phone. Or my camera, especially with reviews confirming the awkwardness. I'd be purely in the camp of using it as a souped up kindle and multi-reader. I mean, I'd like to think that I'd be all productive and read quality classical literature in preparation for teaching it to my kids, while taking notes on the other screen. But really, I'd have reddit open on one screen and facebook on the other. Or a game and a youtube video. And anyway, my local Best Buy sold out, so I can't go impulse purchase one, despite the $100 off for activating in store.

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Android Central points out one thing that supposedly other reviewers agree with, but I haven't seen in any other review and it'd be a huge concern for me at least...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    desertlap and violajack like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That sounds like the early days of Bluetooth headsets where you couldn't hear anything if the the phone was in your pocket...o_O

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So mine is now here.... and one of the first things I tried to do is connect my Samsung galaxy buds live to them. So far no joy even after doing a complete reset of the duo and the buds as well:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

And the android central review probably gets as close to right as anyone especially for the crowd here. Have to keep reminding myself that it's early and part of that is dropping some preconceived ideas about what a smartphone is. And this definitely isn't.

darkmagistric, dstrauss and dellaster like this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Why don't you just plug in a headset... oh :D

I'm sure they'll sort this one out, that's kind of basic functionality. Patience! (unfortunately)

10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It may go deeper than that. I finally got them to connect but now I'm getting the stuttering that the android central article talk about.

However, they go away if the phone is folded shut and are worst if it's folded 360 degrees open. Opened flat it seems to be somewhere in the middle. That hints to me that the bluetooth radio and the digitizers are interfering with each other. That's something that may or may not be fixable with firmware

dellaster likes this.