Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

Disappointing that there seems to be a consensus that the software is somewhat buggy / needs refinement. I wonder if the expected day-one major update is supposed to fix a lot of these issues. If that’s the case, not sure why they wouldn’t have pushed it out before the embargo ended to give the reviewers a more positive experience.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think it was Dieter who said that a last minute update this week dramatically improved the experience to make it ... passable. So I guess they did exactly as you suggest, it just wasn't enough.

yodamiked likes this.
  3. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

Ah, yes, I see that now. Well that’s doubly disappointing. Although hopefully that means future updates can solve more and more of the software issues. It’s a shame though, because combined with a fairly lack luster marketing campaign, I imagine the tone of these reviews will generally lead people to wait a few months to buy, or more likely, wait until the next gen.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The "day one update" looks to be less than expected . primarily fixing a major bug with the slim pen (random disconnects ) and some cellular issue with Verizon and t-mobile LTE (which might explain why at the moment AT&T is the only carrier partner)

Bishop likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I am so glad to see another history buff on this forum (all puns intended)...

Chris_Kez, JoeS and Bishop like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

So I wonder how many of these reviews were written before the updates, and therefore no longer current.

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes and no. It looks like the day one update was a lot less than expected and many of the issues remain. The day one update looks to be narrowly focused to a couple of major bugs with the pen and LTE

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wasn’t the Duo originally scheduled for a release later in the fall? What’s going on now makes one wonder if they should have stuck to that. :confused:

Chris_Kez and dstrauss like this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's probably OK, I suspect MS set up somewhat conservative production targets. They know what they have and what it costs. They set out to capture a small portion of the professional market, and those folks might not care about a mediocre 'back' camera experience, which seems to be the only truly unfixable problem in gen 1. The next biggest issue but hopefully not as much of a problem is that 6GB RAM. Overall, I think their intended market is probably safe.

Steve S and Chris_Kez like this.