Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

[​IMG]

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I haven't read the Windows Central review yet but the Verge is about as I expected . They are trying to shoe horn the ideas about using this in the standard single pane of glass paradigm that is the modern smart phone. This device isn't this. Even the most basic things like how do you hold it and use the screens for the most basic tasks need to be rethought by the user. I do agree the camera is Meh, but what was exepcted and I think it's more than "good enough " for the intended audience.

EDITED For typos, my typing skills are atrocious!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    JoeS and Bishop like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Terri Hatcher, one of my crushes from back in the day....

Bishop and JoeS like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

There are more Thurrott's out there than I imagined - they all say it is the "future" but some of the reviews are brutal. My take away - this device was meant for the likes of this tribe (and no @JoeS - I do not have one):

Wired - 4/10 "And that brings me to the worst part about the Surface Duo. I have been getting annoyed a lot."

WSJ
    - "Microsoft’s new phone-tablet provides a glimpse of what’s ahead for mobile devices, if you can look past the slow performance and buggy software"

TechCrunch
    - This one throws me a bit. Like most, they portray the Duo as a "work in progress" then gripe incessantly about the camera, yet post some pictures that aren't all that bad given such a tiny lens/sensor/placement of the camera.

The Verge
    - 6/10 (getting better), and at least Dieter understands the concept better. One big plus (battery) and one real downer (multi-tasking performance):
    "A more tangible benefit of that optimization time is battery life: it’s pretty good! That’s absolutely not what I expected when I learned that the two batteries inside the Surface Duo add up to a mere 3,577mAh. That’s a paltry number when compared to the number of pixels it’s being asked to light up, and it’s notably less than what many single-screen Android phones have. Yet, I’m consistently making it to the end of the day on a single charge, and standby time is excellent.

If I have one complaint about the specs it’s that the Duo only has 6GB of RAM That’s plenty for your average Android phone, but it’s not enough to keep apps from closing sooner than I’d like in the background. It’s also not quite enough to reliably run two apps at once without one of them getting a hiccup — and the whole point of the Surface Duo is to run two apps at once."

And leave it to Marques Brownlee has a very balanced review (but very brutal on the camera):

negative1, darkmagistric and JoeS like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Totally. Starting with whatever that Superman series was called.

desertlap and Bishop like this.
  6. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Brad Sams also has a balanced review, and an interesting angle:
    Petri - "If you are looking for the best productivity mobile device, the Duo is for you. This is why I think of it more as a PDA than say a traditional smartphone – PDAs helped you organize your life while the Duo does that and helps you get things done too."

thierryb, dstrauss and Bishop like this.
  7. Bishop

Lois and Clark. That was the early days of the internet. Her photo in nothing but the cape was, at that time, one of the most downloaded images on the net.

upload_2020-9-10_10-0-59.png

JoeS likes this.
  8. Bishop

Resurrecting the "PDA" moniker may be a good approach for SDuo.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow, sounds like these bugs make the Pro X launch look good. o_O

dellaster, dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

JoeS and negative1 like this.