Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well my duo is supposedly out for delivery TODAY! We'll see if I actually get it today as I've had this false hope before with Apple.

OTOH, including the link, @jhoff80 lists above, I'm tentatively impressed with MS rollout. Though I realize many here, eager for solid information aren't :D

nnthemperor, JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I have a label created. Delivery by tomorrow @ 8:00PM. @dstrauss that 11:00AM 9/11 review ain't happening.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's OK Major - I gave you until noon - I'll make that your local time...

4. desertlap

See. I think this yet another way that MS pulling back from their stores might come back to bite them.

I'm certain that the device in a mS store was running the very latest patches and had trained staff at hand to assist. None of which BB has the best history with. Yes MS stores had nowhere near the presence that Apple stores do, but at least they stood as a good reference point which actually benefited them with for instance some of the Surface book and Surface Pro issues in past models.

And it gets back to the reason why Apple stores came in to being in the first place which was that Steve Jobs went to a CompUsa which had an apple experience center in it and was so disappointed in the experience including non functional displays and bad information from staff. he realized that the only way for a higher end product like Apple to succeed was to have knowledgeable people selling/marketing them.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    nnthemperor, Steve S, Bishop and 2 others like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Bishop likes this.
  6. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

I think there are close to 1000 Best Buy stores vs. 75-80 Microsoft stores. I agree Duo would get better treatment at MS stores, but the exposure is so small and the product so niche that I don't think it would have any material impact on the product let alone the company. Forget about Duo,MS knew they had two new XBox consoles coming out this fall; those would have garnered much more attention, foot traffic, and sales than Duo (or perhaps the entire Surface lineup)-- and they still thought it made more sense to write down existing leases rather than ride them out through the holiday quarter and take a write-down next year instead.

desertlap likes this.
  7. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Do I dare go to Thurrott.com and see if Paul references this and still complains that he doesn't have a satisfactory explanation for why Panos and Microsoft created Surface Duo?

Bishop and dstrauss like this.
  8. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

What carrier? And did you preorder from microsoft or bestbuy?

Edit: Also just saw my label was created w/ Fedex (I ordered direct from Microsoft)
    Fedex has been really bad in my area lately........ I hope they actually get it to me tomorrow.

9. desertlap

Absolutely 100% agree with one mitigating factor.

Something lost was the the MS centric blogosphere often used the MS stores as for lack of a better term "reference points" when it came to something like the Surface line. I won't name names, but I;ve seen several of the more prominent writers in my local MS tore around new product releases and in fact the Manger of that store made a point of being as solicitous as possible to them knowing the Halo effect it could have.

Last but not least, easy to forget now, but the Apple stores were nowhere nearly as ubiquitous as they are now, but in the early days of both the iPhone and iPad and even to a lesser degree the intel Macs they were instrumental in carrying the message forward.

dellaster likes this.
  10. desertlap

AT&T, ordered from them as well.
    Still haven't gotten in yet though and typically FedEx would have delivered by now.