Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Is that any worse than the iPhone 11 Pro Max? At least the McLaren Edition is named a brand that's expensive & with winning heritage. Pro Max reminds of the upcoming AT&T service HBO Max/

desertlap likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Waiting for the "Mad Max Thunderdome" edition

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Interesting tidbit from Zac Bowden at WindowsCentral:

"Microsoft says that it's planning to launch the Surface Duo alongside the Surface Neo in the fall of this year. However, I've heard whispers that Microsoft may launch the Surface Duo much earlier than anticipated, as the Surface Duo is further ahead development-wise than the Surface Neo.

If what I'm hearing is correct, Microsoft will "soft-launch" the Surface Duo before the summer, allowing enthusiasts and, more importantly, developers to get their hands on the Surface Duo before a more official launch in the fall. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Surface Duo launch around the same time as Build, allowing attendees to purchase a Surface Duo at a discounted price."

darkmagistric, Bronsky and Lilawyn like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I've heard whispers that Microsoft may launch the Surface Duo much earlier than anticipated...>>

An interesting rumor. For myself, I hope that this is true, because otherwise I fear that Microsoft will once again be lapped by one or more of the other OEMs and the Neo / Duo intro will suffer accordingly...

dstrauss and darkmagistric like this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As much as I love the Duo Concept.....I can't help but feel skeptical over its overall usability.....its really awesome looking....but its form factor doesn't lend itself to being someones replacement phone. Right now I have a Galaxy Note 9.....and thinking of how I use my Note 9.....I really can't see myself using the Duo in the same fashion. Price is gonna be really key......I can't image this thing would hit for under a $1000.....but it it were priced and marketed more like a Tablet that could be your phone when needed.....a $600 ish price point could make it quite appealing to some. Even if it doesn't replace my Note 9......I could totally see myself swaping out my Sim Card and taking the Duo out with me instead depending on what the day holds in store.....and then swaping the Sim between the Note 9 and Duo. Like a night out in NYC....take the Note 9.......a long and torrid family Easter snooze feast.....Duo it is.

nnthemperor, dstrauss and efjay like this.
  6. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

, I don't think it is meant to compete with the Note line, more with the Fold like devices. But if you keep the device unfolded 360 degrees in your pocket (with a screen protector on both screens), I seems to be more usable as a phone than primarily as a tablet.
    I also read the term Duo OS on Windows Central once iirc, maybe MS will also add some dual screen extra's/features to their version of Android (if any) or that might have just referred to the MS launcher or such.
    Personally I would prefer a Duo form-factor over a Fold one I think.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The first thing MS will have to do is make a POP3 email account work natively with Outlook Android without going through Outlook.com.

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's still very preliminary info and not based on actual hands on with either the device or the software, but what MS appears to be doing is similar to what Samsung is doing with their one UI aka a skin over android.

That being said, the level of openness and the amount of guidance that MS is providing developers is almost unprecedented. I.E. While Samsung holds some things back for their own use, MS appears to want everybody onboard.

That alone gets me intrigued about the Duo's possibilities.

Steve S likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'll be shocked if it's not in the $1500 range - MS still thinks of itself as Apple; with the Max going $1249 (256gb) and $1499 (512gb) and Galaxy Fold $2000, I think we'll be doing good seeing it land between those two price points. If I'm wrong, and hopefully I am, a $999 SKU could be a KILLER premium device.

Steve S likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

far from official but we've heard from MS own people a prediction of a $1000 entry price

nnthemperor likes this.