Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Bishop That's likely your bank. I've seen that when I bought my wife and daughter iPhones last year. They charged me again right when it shipped.

Also mine still showing as pending as well.

Bishop likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

One of the reasons I hate pre-ordering. Thanks

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oh that's right, this is the week that these things will be widely received and reviewed! Fun times :cool:

Seems like a reddit user talked to someone who's been using a working Duo. The since deleted post with some early impressions is below. Summary: according to this guy MS communicates the software is still rough, the guy liked the build quality, liked having the two screens, liked the SOC performance, didn't like the battery life (not all-day in his use), didn't like the camera much, found the OS glitchy. Nothing too unexpected. :)

I have a coworker who's testing the phone. We're a research analyst firm, so we wouldn't be publishing a review publicaly per se. We guide our clients (and Microsoft itself) on their mobile strategy.

He cautioned that Microsoft says that the software the phone ships with is "almost pre-1.0". Some things might change when the device launches (it's supposed to get a day one update). However, these are his findings.

Pros

• The build quality, as expected, is very high. At least as good, if not better, than most flagships. It's a sexy piece of hardware.

• The bezels don't bother him. Probably because...

• The two screen design definitely changes how you use the device. Apps that are designed to take advantage of it work great. It feels more like a laptop than a phone or tablet. Closing the device feels, like Panos says, that you're putting away your work and can focus. It's a nice feeling (but there are some disadvantages - see cons below).

• Performance is great. He never felt the device suffered from its CPU or memory.

• This is obvious, but if you're invested in the Microsoft ecosysyem this is the best phone for you.
    Cons

• Battery life is average at best. He rarely gets through a day without charging. If he's using the device a lot, he's plugging in by noon.

• The camera is just bad, at least compared to other flagships.

• There's definitely some OS wonkiness. Some apps don't know what to do with 2 screens. Others open a (not fullscreen) window that spreads across them. It's not uncommon to try to shift your apps between screens around the OS just doesn't let you. This is the biggest thing he hopes MS corrects before launch.

• This is hard to explain, but sometimes he closes the device and his mind says "I'm done using the device" but he's actually trying to multitask, which throws him off. He said it's kind of a weird mindshift to, say, start up Spotify, close the device and continue to listen. It of course works, but your brain is used to "I closed my device so everything should turn off". It's an interesting observation I haven't heard any other reviewer bring up.
    In the end, he went back to his S10 Note, at least for now. He just finds the early software wonkiness too much. He really hopes software updates will address the windowing and possibly battery life. The camera, though, he says can't be saved.

Tl;dr

Good: unique experience, very well built, surprising performance. Bad: wonky OS, particularly in handling the two screens, lackluster battery life, ****ty camera. Some of these could be addressed by software, but not the camera.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Marty, Chris_Kez and darkmagistric like this.
  4. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

Too early for the Duo 2:
    https://www.talkandroid.com/357950-...ly-working-on-a-follow-up-to-the-surface-duo/

According to Zac Bowden of Windows Central, the follow-up to the Surface Duo is running under the codename ‘Zeta’. There’s no point speculating what sort of hardware or improvements the Surface Duo 2 might feature seeing as the initial model sports the Snapdragon 855 processor that’s over 18-months old.

If the report is correct, this does mean that Microsoft is serious enough about the phone tablet device to hopefully address any failings that are apparent with the first Surface Duo that looks to be confined to the US market for the foreseeable future.

later

Chris_Kez, desertlap and Marty like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Between yesterday and today, the "pending" charge on my credit card from the Microsoft Store has disappeared. Nothing has changed on the MS store website...>>

@Bishop : I've seen this behavior, too, on previous purchases. I could be wrong, but I think what you're seeing is an "intention to buy" alert being sent to your bank and your bank establishing a sort of "embargo" on your funds in anticipation of the actual purchase. A few days later, your account is routinely reviewed for any issues, and the bank realizes that you're good for the purchase (based on your credit history and balance) so the "embargo" is lifted...

6. Bishop

@Bishop : A few days later, your account is routinely reviewed for any issues, and the bank realizes that you're good for the purchase (based on your credit history and balance) and the "embargo" is lifted...[/QUOTE]

Glad I'm "good" for something. :cool:

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Bishop

In the FWIW department:

Recent Google Play Store updates for:

Edge - Today
    Launcher Beta - 2 days ago (I think it's the 2nd in a week)
    Outlook - 4 days ago
    OneNote - 4 days ago
    OneDrive - 5 days ago
    SwiftKey - 6 days ago
    MS ToDo - 7 days ago

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Chris_Kez and JoeS like this.
  8. desertlap

I agree it's early OTOH, one of our engineers noticed in the very latest code commits hardware at least two device iDs are referenced that aren't the variations of the duo the MS has announced to date, so work is definitely under way, and a great sign that MS is committed to the platform

9. Bishop

Microsoft explains SDuo privacy settings courtesy of windowslatest.com.
    upload_2020-9-8_8-22-0.png

Not much of an explanation. The first Privacy Settings appear to be Google's, the second Microsoft's (aptly labeled "Microsoft.")

This at least supports the earlier notion that Google does not have control over everything on the device. In a couple of days, we can start figuring out which is which.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  10. desertlap

@Bishop You are on the right track. Since Android 8, Google has promoted the concept similar to what MS does with their enterprise products and 3rd party adds ins, which they call snap-ins

In other words there are specific hooks in the core OS that things like launchers and skins the various Android vendors including Samsung are STRONGLY encouraged to use.

Early on when MS was adding tons of commits to Android , one of the google engineers remarked to one of ours that MS was the "most compliant vendor they have worked with to date"

Take that with a grain of salt, since it's second hand but the fact that he made that comment says something to me.

Bishop likes this.