Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Two reasons, regulatory approvals and supply chain issues. They can only produce enough for the US initially, which makes sense because the US will be by far the biggest market for it, at least to start.

2. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

apparently best buy employees can't share photos or videos, but people still can:
    from reddit:

"Attention Best Buy employees! We can’t post pictures or videos of the duo to social media
    [​IMG]
    There was a focus task that states we cannot post pictures or videos of the surface duo. We gotta adhere to the Best Buy news media policy.

I’m just as excited as everyone especially as our stores Microsoft expert, but it’s definitely not work risking our jobs over."

later

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There is also the factor of its still questionable build quality and it being able to reliably hold up to the needs of the average user. I'm sure Samsung well tested the Note 7 and the original Galaxy Fold before their respected launches, yet both were disasters upon release. Microsoft holding off on international markets might be a smarter play till the product and its form factor can prove itself. The last thing Microsoft would want to do is have a massive recall should some flaw in its design or production emerge with the larger scale production.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So this is an interesting rumor about Samsung and aligns with a couple of rumors we heard Friday from our asian partners. I'm actually skeptical and this think it's actually the fold 3 due to the other persistent tidbits of a "breakthrough in diplay design" that will begin the fold 3

OTOH It's typical Samsung to throw a bunch of stuff out and see what sticks.

It definitely does point to Samsung seeing the Duo as competition to their fold devices.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-galaxy-z-fold-s-rumors-2021-launch/

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Bishop likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I find this one "too far out there" - why would you want to risk the screen life by being able to fold inward and outward - would require a lot of slack in that screen.

6. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

A question for those of you who use Android and/or when you get your Duo...

Is it possible to set a reminder using voice commands from the ToDo app, the Cortana app, or Microsoft launcher?

Ran into a problem with my Microsoft Invoke. Thought it might be an intermittent problem when it wouldn't take my reminder. When I tried from the iOS Cortana app, I got a redirect to the page below.

Not being able to use voice commands to set reminders and make calendar appointments will be another rough edge that puts the device at a competitive disadvantage with other phones. I was hoping that Duo would make Microsoft put more $$$/functionality in Cortana and not less...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4045913/cortana-get-reminders

7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

MS is deprecating Cortana as a stand alone app on iOS & Android. However, I understand that Cortana functionality is “baked into” the MS apps on SDuo. Setting appointments, sending/reading emails & texts & ToDos By voice are supposed to be features

8. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks. I knew that. I have seen this migration constantly lower the value of my Microsoft Invoke smart speaker. But I admit I was surprised when the iOS Cortana app could not be used to set reminders.

Then, as you say the functionality is getting "baked into" other apps, I was also surprised that ToDo on iOS hasn't picked up the ability to operate on voice commands.

Maybe MS should give up on voice commands on iOS and simply support Siri extensions?

What is the current state of MS apps on Android? Does Cortana handle voice commands for reminders and calendars? Do the ToDo/Calendar apps support Cortana voice commands? Or is it just like iOS with no Cortana voice support?

9. Bishop

I think we’re about to find out.

10. Bishop

Between yesterday and today, the "pending" charge on my credit card from the Microsoft Store has disappeared. Nothing has changed on the MS store website, which still shows it paid for with that card.

Weird.