Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...What appears below is the text of my chat with an MS online store person about signing into/setting up SDuo...>>

@Bishop : I had to wait until I could blow up your post to 200% to read the screen shots, and... I have my doubts about the accuracy of this. I might be paranoid, but something about it just doesn't sound right. At some point in the process, I bet you'll have to log into Google on an existing Google account or create a new one...

2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I think you’re right. sorry about the size. Had to shrink it to get the site to allow it to post.

3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yup, and more to come...

Still under NDA right now, but the scope of MS integration of devices like the Duo with MS series across the board is just starting.

A new re-worked Duo optimized version of remote desktop is allegedly in the works

lovelaptops and Bishop like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, Enderle has been a thin client advocate for a decade or more...the Blackberry quote caught my eye...

"I know a bit about Workstation users: they demand – and typically get – the hardware they want, and Workstations tend to be several times more expensive than PCs. So the idea of putting a firm’s engineering staff onto what amounts to a thin-client solution shouldn’t work. But the plan is to put these engineers on Microsoft’s new Duo, which is the first Smartphone in some time (other than a BlackBerry) with a serious business focus. "

No business person/professional was worth their salt in the day if they weren't rocking a Blackberry.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    lovelaptops, Bishop and desertlap like this.
  6. desertlap

One last thing, just in the last week or so we've heard a tonal "shift" in talking about the Duo. We've heard at least three times, the phrase "Duo Class Device" versus just the singular "Duo"

Hmmm....

7. desertlap

Yes he is. I'd actually say he tends more toward zealot..

I actually like thin client for the right applications . The problem is, as with many tech solutions advocates try to shoehorn them in to many things where they simply don't fit.

Bishop likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I actually like thin client for the right applications...>>

I find it hard to see how this solution works in applications where security is a concern... and security seems to be more of a concern every day. Hack the comm channels and you can be the "man in the middle;" hack the servers and now you have access to everyone's content, not just a single user's...

dstrauss likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

100% with you on this, and a real ethical and confidentiality problem for teh legal profession (almost any profession for that matter).

dellaster likes this.
  10. desertlap

So this is going to be counterintuitive at first but bear with me for a moment.

So first of all the declarative that there is no such thing as 100% secure as long as humans are involved.

Because of the rise of web based apps, and the aforementioned man in the middle attacks that occurred initially, there has been huge gains around authentication and integrity of every transaction encompassing everything from more complex key exchange and encryption to using things like two factor authentication.

So that brings us back to the user again and the reason that thin clients are more secure is they they are considerably more locked down than traditional clients and thus there are less vectors for users and/or bad guys to deliberately or accidentally subvert these security systems.

One very specific example is, we work with an energy exploration company who is often dealing with highly confidential proprietary information. They use a custom dell thin client solution that includes things like disabling connections to unknown/unapproved wifi solutions and forcing them to LTE which is an order of magnitude more secure than garden variety WiFi (though still not 100%, as nothing is).

I've noticed that TPCR tends to be a anti-cloud group for a variety of reasons, but security shouldn't be one of them. Simply put, by far the biggest security risk is the wetware interface piloting the system.

Chris_Kez and violajack like this.