Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"That's what she said.....:D:eek:

Bishop likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Actually, I think that quote was, "it's SO small!"

desertlap likes this.
  3. Bishop

Many in this group will recall my fixation/unease about dealing with Google as a condition of having SDuo. What appears below is the text of my chat with an MS online store person about signing into/setting up SDuo.

If I read these correctly:
    • On setup, you can sign in with your Outlook account
    • You can make Google Play Store purchases with that account
    • The rep wrote "Google will not have access to the account in Outlook."
    • Or you can sign in with a Google account and add your Outlook account to Outlook as another mail account
    Here's where I would walk into a physical Microsoft store. Oh wait, can't do that anymore.

Given the length of time it took waiting for responses, she was getting help from someone. I hope she's correct. Call me distrustful, but I still think there's more to it.

YMMV.

upload_2020-9-3_16-35-20.png

lovelaptops and Chris_Kez like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah the key phrase in the transcription is "under google". Unless they have changed it, you still have to have a google account even if outlook functionally speaking sits in front of it. At least as of the last look we had at the software this week. It's the resurgence of the idea of "trusted credentials "

We've heard that you would be able to buy apps via an account you have through Microsoft, but make no mistake, in this case MS is just acting as middle man for the transaction and your money still ends up going to google (and then out to the developer minus googles cut)

BTW: with the significant exception that Android makes it considerably easier to side-load apps the "store" in Android is nearly as tightly tied to the OS as the store in IOS.

And since Android 8, Google knows every app you have installed currently or in the past, side- loaded or through the store doesn't matter. That's a core function of Play Protect

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Chris_Kez and Bishop like this.
  5. Bishop

See, that makes more sense to me.

I keep forgetting its rootable AND side loadable.

upload_2020-9-3_17-35-29.png

desertlap likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So I was near another Best Buy myself today, and they now did have the duo. But as Bishop also noted, and as I saw with the other Best Buy the other day...the Duo seems to be almost purposely placed in the most obscure, out of the way shelf space, its like they don't want people to see it. I'm sure if that's coming from Best Buy or Microsoft, but it definitely feels likes a mandated effort to debut the Duo as quietly as possible. Has anyone else noticed this at their best buys? or do other Best Buys have more prominent displays for the Duo?

Also this time I brought both my Surface Pen and my Slim Pen. Part of me was hoping contrary to being confirmed it wouldn't charge, that maybe the slim pen would charge off the Duos magnetic spot....but no...in fact the small magnetic hold on the back seems to hold the regular pen much more secular then the Slim pen.

However....I couldn't use the pens. I mean they worked and I could navigate the UI, but I couldn't get any pen settings to open up, nor could I draw with it in any app. The Play Store I couldn't access, and One Note you to need to log in, Sticky Notes wasn't installed from what I could tell, and in the Office App, it had its own Note and Document app...I couldn't get the pen to draw in either. And there is also no cursor either, which is odd because Android always supported cursors with the Note line. And I couldn't find anything in the settings to enable Pen mode or use. A far cry from the integration Samsung was able to bake into their Android devices.

7. Bishop

I gotta say, the people waiting in line before/after me to handle the Duo were not what I would consider the usual tech/nerd crowd. Older, long pants, no logos on the t-shirt; while I was under cover in boat shoes, cargo shorts and a Tommy Bahama/Charlie Harper shirt.

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I can work with that.

Bishop likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Guys - thanks for all the advice on selling, but I'm just not into spending this much on the Duo even with better value for the iPP11 - too much to give up in exchange. I'll just live vicariously on this one...

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You had a line? In both of my Best Buys, I was like the only one who even went near the damn thing let alone held it. I even stuck around for a half hour (still contemplating a iPad Pro 12.9), no one went near it. In part probably because of where they put the display, no one probably even knows its there. Had they had it front and center with all the Samsung/iPhones, or even near the dedicated Surface section, it might get more attention.

Bishop likes this.