Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

That’s a disgustingly low trade in offer for the iPad Pro. Please promise us you will post it for sale here before taking that low of a trade in offer.

2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

No thicker than the existing GZF2.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Please promise us you will post it for sale here before taking that low of a trade in offer...>>

Having sold several tablets on this site, I can assure you that Microsoft's offer isn't unrealistic at all...

lovelaptops and JoeS like this.
  4. Bishop

Ok. I schlepped to the nearest Best Buy, and they had a display. It was on an end cap, alone, 20 feet away from the Galaxy display, 2 long shelves of generic cases between them. You can't see from the Samsung display space to the SDuo space or vice versa. Clearly, you're not supposed to see the Duo while pawing iPhones or Galaxies at this Best Buy.

I don't have the tools to take any better pictures or videos than are already available, and there were people waiting, 6 ft. away, for their turn. So I didn't attempt it. Here are my hurried observations after handling it:
    • Wow. "Thin" doesn't do it justice.
    • The hinge is phenomenal. It holds firmly at every point along the arc.
    • Weight and balance are excellent, in every position.
    • The screen is bright, sharp and has settings to pick color tones, etc.
    • Swiping between screens was butter smooth. No jitters or stutters.
    • The gestures for moving, spanning and dismissing apps, when executed correctly, worked very well.
    • I had my Surface Slim Pen in my pocket. SDuo instantly recognized when the pen was in range and offered a link to the pen settings.
    • The Pen worked to drag and scroll.
    • As someone pointed out earlier, you can't get to Office apps without logging into an account, so I couldn't test OneNote.
    • I launched Sticky Notes from the Launcher Feed page. The Pen drew very well. No latency, no stray marks or trails. No parallax I could detect and works edge to edge. Bonus: The Slim Pen eraser worked too.
    • Best Buy's wifi requires a secure log in SO I COULD NOT TEST THE BROWSER while, I don't know, actually surfing the internet.
    • There is an icon for the demo app, showing the page turn animation we've seen on the Kindle App.
    • I really like typing in the Compose Mode.
    • I was not successful in finding the Launcher settings to test the layout. I suspect some settings may only be accessible when logged into an account.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  5. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

6. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, of course, but I mean wider in your pocket when you would fold it like that. So it would be wide and thick, instead of the current thick and long but slim/narrow shape.

7. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wow. Pretty bad ass device.

9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@dstrauss Yeah. Or put it on Swappa. The latest (Aug 16) Verizon 512GB iPad 11 Pro (2018, mint) sold for $720.

10. Bishop