Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

These sound like rookie mistakes, and this is one area where MS could learn from Apple. Our local AT&T business/enterprise folks have been actively demoing the Duo to their customers and they hinted to us that a significant sized financial firm is piloting 150 of them

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Gee guys, with only Worst Buy and AT&T to rely on...

Au contraire - I think you and I are more likely in the majority - only a minority get the privilege of touching the Duo in person...in fact the On Microsoft hands on is about as good as we'll get for some time to come...

PS - @JoeS - videos like these are tempting...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  3. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Great Tip, I may try this out to see if it helps reduce the friction of the way I'm used to interacting with android.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@JoeS et al - I'm going to stop commenting on the Duo and the tease of "will he, won't he": The 256gb Duo, with pen, Complete, and taxes, is $1998. The MS sales rep I talked to yesterday offered the $700 trade-in for the one year old iPhone 11 Pro 256gb and he could work a further trade in of $250 for my two year old iPad Pro 11 (512gb/LTE). That leaves me out of pocket $1048 - far too much to give up two devices that can do so much more than MS' pocket laptop, even if much more to carry.

Sorry, but the value prop is just not there even for this serial tech abuser.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

OMG he's going to do it!!
    Noooo what a misdirect! :p

6. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Interesting observation
    I wish to amend my previous statement. The use case is not determined by the split or fold as much as by the screen ratio of the halves.

upload_2020-9-3_11-25-53.png

The SDuo diagram is from the MS Store webpage. The gold overlay is a comparably scaled Z Fold 2 based on the announced dimensions, turned to landscape orientation.

upload_2020-9-3_11-33-54.png

Compare the amount of screen available to view the app and type. I believe Microsoft has the better of the design orientations for productivity. If the hinge on the Z Fold were oriented along the shorter axis, it could be every bit as productive as the SDuo. (I think one of you already suggested this; I searched the thread but failed to locate the prior post.)

This would get @dstrauss his Wacom SPen (granted Samsung may have to redesign it to get it in a shorter silo), Samsung cameras, thicker than SDuo but narrower as well.

Z Fold 3 with SPen in this orientation would sell like gangbusters.

lovelaptops, Chris_Kez, Marty and 2 others like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

For me, the main use for a fold or duo would be to expand the screen real estate. I don't have much of a desire to use either half-folded. Anybody know if the fold can be used completely open but with two separate displays side by side like the Duo can? That might be something I would want to do to transfer information from application to application.

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, but wouldn't that almost be like putting 2 Duo's in your pocket? I think the only reason why the Fold is pocketable is because of that orientation which makes it like a thick candybar in your pocket, but because it is not so wide it kind of works. And I do not see Samsung being able to reduce the thickness much without sacrificing specs for Fold 3.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It's early yet. I have faith in human nature. Only time will tell.

Bishop, JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Apparently.

[​IMG]

darkmagistric likes this.