Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It could be the sticky app itself or a firmware issue. its not exactly like MPP based pen tech was ever commonplace in Android.

I had a Pro 3, not sure I'd classify that as Pro 3 level. Pro 3 level Ntrig was garbage, but a different bag then that one.

I'd hold firm judgement until the day of release updates hit. But even then, with the precedent set by the Surface Go 1... if the pen performance is gimped post release...I wouldn't expect a fix anytime soon.

Another possibility...maybe its just the normal Surface Pen that would behave poorly? When I got my Pro 5 two years back, I didn't bother getting the Pro 5 pen since I had so many Pro 3/4 pens, and I was very disappointed by the lackluster performance of the new pen tech that was in the Pro 5. But then I got the Pro 5 pen and it was a noticeable improvement. I've found Microsoft's promotion of the Slim Pen for the Duo kind of odd given the Duo has no way to charge or stow the Slim pen, the regular Surface Pen would be a much better fit since charging it wouldn't be an issue. But if the Slim Pen really is the future of the Surface Pen, as much as Microsoft has seemingly held off on improving the digitizer tech from pretty much their entire line (Pro 7,Book3, Go2,etc), what if the Duo is the first product to make use of the next gen of Pixel Sense? In much the same way of how using the Pro 3/4 pens was a subpar performance on the Pro 5, maybe using the Regular (Pro 5) Surface Pen would also present a subpar experience on the Duo compared to using the Slim Pen.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Out of curiosity, given you're CFO's affinity for Multiple Monitors, and his stance on laptops, whats his opinion on the emergence of Dual Screen devices? I'd imagine devices like the Surface Duo and the Asus Zen Pro Duo would probably catch his interest.

3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, yeah but Duo is very likely tougher (not 1 screen that needs to be bend), glass screens and much thinner (important too for portability). It is also lighter.
    The camera setup of the Fold 2 is also worse than that of the Ultra I believe, so while it is better than the Duo it is still not the latest greatest (which seems to me the logical step if you want your phone at that price to replace a camera).
    Also not sure if Samsung offers as good trade-ins for Galaxies/Notes and Iphones (seems to me slightly more rewarding than selling it yourself). Like iPhone 8 (plus) reduces the price of the Duo by 400.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

He's been curious most definitely, but so far hasn't seen a device that makes him willing to make the jump. To that point his phone choice is a midrange Samsung, since he uses it 99% for very basic functions and beyond that switches to his desktop and thus can't justify the expense of a higher end phone.

He has dabbled with the Note a couple of times, but ended up frustrated.

If there is one on the horizon device he might embrace, it's the Neo. He was already on board with getting one when MS sort of announced it

@darkmagistric You also may be on to something with the firmware for two reasons.

One, the duo pen tech isn't common in small devices to date for several reasons including shrinking the screen portion down and still maintaining the needed DPI accuracy. And at least two of the interim updates have been to correct issues with the pen digitizer

Second, though it's no where near the challenges with EMR (S-Pen) tech there is still the potential for interference when you have two screens so physically close together.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Marty, darkmagistric and daddyfish like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

For a Galaxy Note 20u they offered $650 for an iPhone 11 Pro and $550 for the two year old iPhone Xs, plus $200 in accessories or additional refund of $200 after 35 days from delivery of the Note 20u. My experience has been this is better then eBay after you take the hit for the eBay selling fees and the PayPal payment fees...

nnthemperor and lovelaptops like this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So, out the door, you get the Note 20U for $550 if you take the $200 refund?:newpalm:

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yep - don't know if still doing that accessory credit or if it was pre-orders only. Still the 128gb is $650 I think after trade-in.

Bronsky likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Deiter usually annoys me no end, but this article today is worth reading. His broad point is that neither the Duo or Fold is a mainstream device and talks about the so far unsuccessful ways (in his opinion) both MS and Samsung have tried to spin/market them.

That being said, They are definitely both niche devices, but the Duo at least in the near term has a better chance of success because its niche is power business users that are already on board with MS for backend and cloud.

The Fold at this point seems to be going after the Vertu crowd. And that's likely a doomed proposition, as try as hard as they did, they could never convince enough buyers that a luxury smart phone made any sense especially considering the useful life of one is going to at best three years (unlike say a watch whose functionality will still be there 20 years later).

Decent read for a rainy Wednesday morning anyway.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/2/2...samsung-galaxy-z-fold-2-flip-5g-microsoft-duo

PS: I have a colleague that briefly worked for Vertu and she said that they put the "Dis" in dysfunctional

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  9. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

Small list of optimized apps:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/list-surface-duo-optimized-apps

The Surface Duo launches with a variety of out-of-box experiences optimized for dual screens. Microsoft is understandably the device's leading advocate, delivering an extensive list of in-house software primed for the added screen real estate.

The lineup includes the extended Microsoft Office family and other productivity apps, all considering the form factor's benefits. We also see third-parties exploring the device, including top names like Amazon Kindle and Spotify.

later

daddyfish likes this.
  10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, to bad Samsung trade in's are crap in my country, but accessory trick is a good one to remember.