Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. nannlp

nannlp Scribbler - Standard Member

But is the Fold 2 in its current form even half as effective in productivity vs the DUO?

MS is selling a note taking productivity device which can also be a phone or a camera for office use. MS has realized that it is impossible to compete in the hardware market which will need constant upgrading to the best to remain relevant. They have adopted a strategy to make devices which are good enough to run their software and all other features in the device is value added.

Samsung is selling a camera phone and lets us figure out productivity

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn't go quite that far as both the Note and Fold are tuned for productivity both with Microsoft apps and some 3rd party apps. How wide and well implemented that 3rd party support will be is going to make or break either device. For instance the kindle app is also optimized for the Fold to allow a dual page book like layout very similar to the Duo.

Conversely outlook and word for instance are optimized for both devices.

We will eventually have both in house to certify and I'm trying to develop some productivity "tests" to compare the two since our customers are interested in both devices though so far, more in the duo by a good bit.

My quick take is that the fold is geared more toward the consumer/luxury space and the Duo toward the mobile worker. In other words I can see a corporate IT group equipping a team with Duos, but only the CEO is likely to get a fold.

PS: App continuity where you can start an app on the front display and then have it move over to the bigger main display is very slick

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  3. desertlap

One other foot note to that. It also makes sense why it's on AT&T as they have a strong corporate sales presence, So does Verizon, but we've heard that Verizon wanted to put their branding on Verizon apps preloaded on the device and Microsoft said no.

Very similar to the story of the iPhone where it was originally an AT&T exclusive because they were the only ones willing to let Apple to produce "a clean phone"

darkmagistric likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Whats overall more productive for people is subjective. Sometimes multiple monitors and screens can be more distracting then productive. I have a 4-monitor desktop that I love, and even I have to admit at time it is very easy to get lost, distracted, or refocused on something else while multitasking.

In many cases a single screen can be preferable. Especially if it comes down to note taking, drawing, sketching, photo editing, etc, where the utility of having a larger single canvas would likely be far superior over a split screen like the duo.

lovelaptops, dellaster and desertlap like this.
  5. desertlap

This exactly! Which is what I preach to my group likely to the point of annoying is that what works for you (and doesn't) often applies just to a group that works like you do.

E.G. I'm at most a dual screen person with a laptop connected to a larger display. Anything more than that I find distracting and doesn't improve my productivity. Conversely, our CFO has four QHD displays and is a multitasking machine and finds laptops simply too limiting.

Once again the old adage, horses for courses...

darkmagistric likes this.
  6. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

android central doesnt think the fold 2 will hold up for most apps:

https://www.androidcentral.com/biggest-downfall-z-fold-2-completely-out-samsungs-control

later

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. desertlap

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Is anyone else a little concerned at the pen latency?
    [​IMG]

Between 6:05–6:12, he's not writing quickly at all, yet the ink still trails very noticeably:

It seems almost worse than early-gen SP3 inking. I have to admit, this kills my interest for the Duo considerably...I was envisioning a lot of side-by-side inking scenarios that had me really hyped up. :(

Maybe somebody can test this out in different apps on their next visit to BB? Fingers crossed this is just an early software issue.

JoeS likes this.
  9. desertlap

@Marty, I saw that as well. I'm wondering if it's a focus issue? eg. with dual screens what its the foreground /active app becomes an order of magnitude more difficult.

lovelaptops likes this.
  10. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan