Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

They only needed to send one out as long as it went to Lisa at Mobile Tech Review.:vbwink:

2. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Press and hold spacebar to bring up a trackpad-like cursor is definitely a nice feature to have. I'm not sure about the gboard implementation but it works well on iPhone (iPhones with 3D Touch use a force-press to do this, while iOS 13 brought the press and hold version to non-3D Touch phones).
    Not that Panos cares what I think, but a small siloed stylus would also work nicely as a precision pointer.

dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

In my experience testing Gboard vs Swiftkey for the cursor feature, I've found Gboard to be more accurate, even though I like how in Swiftkey you can use the entire space of the keyboard instead of just dragging within the space bar.

I also personally find Gboard to be far better than Swiftkey for just general typing and accuracy, though at one point a few years back I did use Swiftkey regularly. It worked really well for a while, and then I started having trouble with it where it'd guess too many words wrong (even after I reset the internal dictionary) and even just last week when I was trying Swiftkey again to test this spacebar thing, that continued for me.

At one point I was using a sideload of Blackberry Keyboard, which is still one of my favorite keyboard implementations, but it was missing features that I used all the time. So now I'm on Gboard and while it's not as good as Blackberry's keyboard, it's still better (for me) than Swiftkey.

All of that being said, I suspect nobody who has the Duo is going to want to use anything other than Swiftkey anyway, because they've supposedly optimized it for the two screens to make sure it behaves properly.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Ha! Glad I can live vicariously though others. It is cheaper.

What is your use case? Phone replacement? Or will it be a device that you use in parallel with your existing phone?

6. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

[mention]jhoff80 [/mention] as long as I’m making suggestions for Panos to ignore: bring the Windows Phone keyboard to Duo! I thought that was better than Swype or Swiftkey or Gboard or iOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve S, dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  7. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with everything that you've said, but the challenge with the V1 of the device is that it cannot replace your phone. If you want a nice camera and NFC (particularly during lockdown, when stores want contactless payment), then you're out of luck.

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

If you have a Smart Watch it can do those functions - my Samsung Watches will take care of contactless payments for me....

Bishop, dstrauss and Chris_Kez like this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

An outright phone replacement I think would still be difficult. Given the lesser camera (which isn't so much an issue with travel mostly still shut down) but for photos with my Note 9, I do use the bluetooth S-pen remote shutter quite frequently. The Duo, since there is no way to stow or charge the pen, I feel in many circumstances where I did use such a feature, likely I won't have a pen for the duo on hand in the same way that I always have my Note 9's spen. And then every other main use of my phone, listening to music while walking/running, navigation in my car, using it as an alarm clock, etc...because of having to physically open it, or leave it mostly open in reverse, (which leaves it considerably more unprotected.)...its just too much of a gamble.

It could replace my Note 9, but $1400 is alot to spend on a could. And I can't speak for everyone, but I wouldn't dare buy a Duo without some form of protection/accidental break plan. So tac on another $100-$200 for that, glass screen protectors for probably all 4 sides which alone if probably $100, and a case of some sort, and then of course tax. I already have the Surface Pen and the Slim Pen, so I guess I could save on that, but if I were to buy the duo, that $1400 would be closer to $1800 I'd estimate. At that price point its just so hard to justify given what else could be bought with that kind of money. I could trade in my Note 9 which would help, but should the Duo end up not suitably replacing the Note 9 as my main phone, not having the Note 9 anymore then presents another problem.

If it was cheaper, like $999 or even under, I would totally buy a Duo and bounce between it and my Note 9. I'd have no qualms swapping my sim card between the two devices depending on my needs for any given day.

10. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not yet, I take the board exams in December. Don't jinx me :p. FWIW I used a ZTE Axon M for a year which was a dual screen device like the Surface Duo. Obviously not as refined and nowhere near the marketing power that Microsoft has, but having side by side apps was very useful.

lovelaptops likes this.