Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Welcome back and congratulations "Dr. Boosh!" Your achievements are beyond what I can possibly imagine and my joy and admiration for you is impossible to put in words. You are beyond inspiring, and I hope you afford yourself the pride you have earned.

That said, one question vis-a-vis Duo for chart notes, etc: my biggest concern is that even opened into a "one screen" format, it's still awfully small for both entering and reviewing notes. So, is Duo just a better Note phone (like Fold) because it's bigger, though still awfully small for mission-critical work that needs to happen in real time, like when you need to have quick access to not just what you are writing now, but what you wrote earlier without endless scrolling or file hopping? I've found this even on 8" form factors (Mini) that I love so much, but more for quick stand-up note taking and on-the-fly stuff. Also, does seem clear that we are far from using this device as a substitute phone, so what makes it better than a[n improved] Mini? What do you all think?

Bishop likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You are right, in general $1000+ is insane for a phone, but the closer that becomes to replacing TWO devices the more it starts to make sense. A 256gb SE is $549; add a 256gb iPad Mini LTE and its $679 - $1228, still $270 less than the 256gb Duo, but that still looks compelling if the Duo turns out to be pocketable and stable, and it looks like it will score on both. The camera is an enigma - one of the reviewers above showed mediocre "photographs" but the selfie, ostensibly the Teams/Zoom camera, looked pretty good.

IF Apple were to deliver an 8.5" iPad Mini "Pro" form device, with Pencil 2 support, that could make the choice of an iPhone + iPM6 even more compelling than a folding Duo. However, all indications are the iPM6 is not going to be so bold...

daddyfish likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have a Note 10. When they were released, I just felt that the 10+ was too big. And, I wanted the 5G, so the size must have been very off-putting to me. I carry the Note 10 in my back pocket all the time. When I get to an office or in the car, I take it out but most of the time, it's there where I need it. When I wear a suit, however, it does go in the inside pocket.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    dstrauss likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Of course, you can put a PDF app on one screen and Word on the other. Just saying.

[​IMG]

Chris_Kez and JoeS like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ha ha ha - this "spoiler" tag is beginning to be hilarious. Unfortunately I'm the fourth rower from the left with wax hanging out of his ears...or are those AirPods?

JoeS likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

Very well put. But I do want to put one thing to rest: even 13 years of inflation, of the >2%/yr amt of the last decade+ (officially, 24.96% between 2007 and 2020), do not equate a $500 iphone in 2007 to even a $1,000 one in 2020 (more like $625), and when you measure inflation in the industry in which these devices - and their core components - reside, inflation has been a cumulative negative number between 2007 and today (think of what a phenomenal laptop you can buy for under $1,000 today vs. what you could get for that price in 2007.) What has been amazingly robust is the gross margin increases that the Apples of the world have maintained (increased actually) over that period of time, though that is their virtual monopoly at work, and some credit to their product superiority (gag) as well. So, onward we go.

JoeS and Bishop like this.
  7. Bishop

:cool:

There's a difference? (BTW - Homer is about as "classics" as I know how to do)

dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It doesn't, I was saying that if you look at the SE2 and the 4a, those phones offer a ton of value, with incredibly improved performance and features for LESS money than the original iPhone 1 price, even before taking into account inflation. So yes, you can get way more for your money these days, which is tech improving as 'intended'. It's just that we now have much more 'luxury tech' that is geared toward people that want the newest and shiniest. Admittedly I couldn't have made this claim before Apple finally caved and released the SE2, because before that the price of even the base iPhone was definitely getting out of control.

lovelaptops likes this.
  9. Bishop

Bingo. Early adopters in every industry fund the efficiency and scale that makes mass market consumer retail possible - eventually.

Still, the $1,000 laptop vs. the $1,000 phone, does the convenience of miniaturization plus telephony justify the premium for the smaller device? I guess it does as long as end users buy both.

lovelaptops and dstrauss like this.
  10. lovelaptops

My error: I looked at your message count (and recent posting rate) and assumed you were new here, failing to notice the date of your membership.

negative1 and Chris_Kez like this.