Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@negative1 - thanks for assembling these for us - a real cross section of mini-reviews. My guess is this is the very reason reviews are embargoed. The software looks like a lot of tweaks incoming - perhaps even a fairly large OTA update on activation. One big question hanging out there - will you be able to open TWO Word docs at the same time on separate screens - THAT would be the gold standard of productivity.

negative1 likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...hey lovelaptops...>>

I was waiting for this...

lovelaptops likes this.
  3. dstrauss

WOW - this picture blew me away - as Marques said barely thicker than the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra camera bump:

[​IMG]

Bronsky and Chris_Kez like this.
  4. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Interesting to see even Apple pundit John Gruber wading into the Duo discussion:
    upload_2020-8-31_10-5-21.png
    As an iPad Pro owner, I'm in agreement about multi-tasking.

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Me too! To date iPad multitasking while better than zero is still far form what you get on any PC or Mac.

One interesting side effect of the dual screen choice versus a foldable one comes for the old engineering axiom that the best innovation comes from constraint, not wide open options. It's looking like the "ok we have two screens how do we best work with that" has taken hold. The kindle app certainly exemplifies that approach .

6. dstrauss

Very interesting observations from Gruber - I would have thought his MacBook would erupt in flames to write anything positive about MS. This was very honest and even-handed. I also agree with the iPad comment - multi-window iOS is a cluster - so difficult to master and even then so difficult to replicate the next time. It's almost by luck you get two screens at one time.

HOWEVER, I am so frustrated by the review embargo - it just makes no sense to me even if the final software image needs replacement.

daddyfish likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Admittedly, a bit of a digression from Duo-gushing, but indulge me if you would.

I guess there's a new class distinction to be observed: those who will/can pay over $1,500 for a smartphone and those who won't/can't. I expect the threshold to soon be $2,000 and, well, who knows from there. How many years did it take for the first $1,000 phone to appear (thanks Apple) and the first phone without a conventional audio out jack (again) and it made it "safe" for all the other mfrs to follow suit? It does eventually trickle down to lower cost devices - witness how good the SE and Pixel 4a are for $400 - but the tech price/performance relationship seems to me to have gotten out of whack in recent years. Tech is supposed to fall in price over time and awesome new stuff is supposed to replace the old without having to raise prices because the core components have fallen in cost to make room for some new gee-whiz enhancements at steady prices. Admittedly, Duo is such a novel form factor/multipurpose device that there really is no price comparison. If it replaces a phone and a mini tablet I guess $1,700 might not be as off-the-charts as first appears; still, wow.

daddyfish likes this.
  8. dstrauss

Is that the Note 10 or 10+ - if the 10, how do you like the more compact format?

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Although Apple went overboard with pricing on their high end iPhones (and annoyingly with success..), as you say the iPhone SE and the Pixel 4a are examples of devices that have done exactly that: way more technology, with a price that's not unlike the $500 iPhone 1 from 2007, 13 years ago. The SE and the 4a are cheaper than the iPhone 1, even before taking into account inflation, and are WAY better "phones". So it's kind of working, just not with brand new form factors, or top of the line "tech jewelry" :p like Apple's high end iPhone models.

dellaster, Chris_Kez and lovelaptops like this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah I've been all over the place on this, and thus why I keep saying this will be a polarizing device.

And yes it's expensive, but it's not really all that much more adjusted, than the original iPhone was.

There is another axiom that all tech cost eventually goes to zero and that's true to a point, but all these companies are profit driven enterprises so if you want new" you will have to pay for the privilege sometimes dearly.

After all I remember the days when a decent corporate laptop was $3500

Chris_Kez, dstrauss and lovelaptops like this.