Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Comment by "Spencer M" on the UnboxTherapy youtube video: Too small to be a laptop / notebook, too big to be a smartphone.... I think these kinds of products should be called a “phonebook". :D

darkmagistric, dstrauss and Chris_Kez like this.
  2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Definitely not being negative, but FWIW it would be operating on 1 screen during note taking and be able to be placed on a charger sometime during lunch hour.

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  3. JoeS

Well in that case, pull out that credit card, because I'm fairly confident it'll be able to make it through the morning! :)

On the topic of battery life, Microsoft's own spec sheets make the claims below. I haven't heard the part in red discussed anywhere: "the battery cannot be replaced". :eek: Edit: @desertlap clarified that this should be read as "...by the end user", but that MS can replace the battery. I'd still like more detail on that in official documentation if I was a buyer though.

Battery Life:
    Up to 15.5 hours of Local Video Playback
    Up to 10 days of Standby Time
    Up to 27 hours of Talk Time
    Battery Capacity: 3577mAh (typical) dual battery

With the following fine print:

[2] Local Video Playback: Testing conducted by Microsoft in July 2020 using preproduction Surface Duo units and software.

Testing consisted of full battery discharge during local video playback on a single screen. Video playback consisted of a repeated 30-minute .mp4 file in 1080p at 24 fps. All settings were default except: LTE and Wi-Fi were both associated with a network with ‘ask to join’ disabled and Adaptive Brightness was disabled, screen was set to 100 nits. Battery life varies significantly with network and feature configuration, signal strength, settings, usage, and other factors. Battery has limited recharge cycles and cannot be replaced.

Standby Time: Testing conducted by Microsoft in July 2020 in an AT&T Validated Lab using preproduction Surface Duo units and software. Testing conducted in accordance with AT&T requirements and test specifications. All settings were default, and network settings were: connected to LTE, and Wi-Fi was enabled but not connected. Battery life varies significantly with network and feature configuration, signal strength, settings, usage and other factors. Battery has limited recharge cycles and cannot be replaced.

Talk Time: Testing conducted by Microsoft in July 2020 in an AT&T Validated Lab using preproduction Surface Duo units and software. Testing conducted in accordance with AT&T requirements and test specifications. All settings were default, and network settings were: connected to LTE, and Wi-Fi was enabled but not connected. Battery life varies significantly with network and feature configuration, signal strength, settings, usage and other factors. Battery has limited recharge cycles and cannot be replaced.

[3] Specified minimum dual battery capacity is 3462mAh.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    darkmagistric and nnthemperor like this.
  4. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

several quick looks:

the patch level:
    [​IMG]

later

JoeS likes this.
  5. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

another impression :

direct comparison against android:

later

daddyfish likes this.
  6. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, I do not think the battery will all that be of an issue. Eg compared to the Lumia 950 XL this battery is slightly bigger, the cpu is obviously much better optimized (the SD 810 had severe heating issues) and oled screen tech has probably be made more efficient in the years to compensate for the bigger screen (950 XL also had oled apperently). The 950 XL's batterylife was just enough, the Duo's can only be better.

, <3 that horizontal space on just 1 screen vs the Note20 Ultra even, imagine how nice that also is for navigation and browsing etc. I want a single screen Duo now :D

Chris_Kez likes this.
  7. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I felt that way using the BlackBerry Passport. It was my favorite smartphone of all time, rocked that thing for years until I got fed up with patching Android apps and doing workarounds just to keep it working with my services. I wish they would've released an Android version. I really did love that 1:1 ratio.

daddyfish likes this.
  8. JoeS

Thanks for collecting these. The guy in the third video is like "typing was terrible, it doesn't correct words like other Android devices". Meanwhile he's typing in the "to" field of an email, which is exactly where apps don't go changing words willy nilly..

9. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh hi @Mr. Boosh, I go here now too. I think I'm going to have to see if my local BB has a display. I just don't know how I feel about that aspect ratio as a one handed device. But I do know that when I walked into a BB to check out the Surface offerings, I walked out with a Pro X. I need to feel things.

JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Considering that a huge chunk of MS contributions to Android repository early on were related to power management, I think that's likely true and also why the device is being released with the 855.

Allegedly when the duo was first shown internally, the initial reaction was "man those dual screens are nice, but battery life is going to take a hit" and thus the focus by MS on getting power consumption down. We've also heard though unconfirmed, that the duo has a custom power management chipset instead of using the one the comes with the 855 from Qualcomm.

PS: As mentioned in an earlier post about the battery not being replaceable, it should read "not user replaceable ". One of our customers is considering a purchase of Duos and that would hav been a hard stop, but MS clarified that it was a service replaceable item.

nnthemperor, daddyfish, JoeS and 2 others like this.