Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm struggling with the price as well. Not because I don't think it's worth it per se, just that to get one it seems to be in addition to what I have instead of replacing something in this case my iPhone.

I ordered one so possibly once I get some real world use I'll change my mind.

PS: One thing that MS people have been saying continuously since Panay became CEO was about being more opening tp partnering and helping with new tech, realizing that "not invented here syndrome" is the best way to kill off a business today.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oh nice, I imagine when you do word lookup you can get the info on the other screen, and you can probably keep notes and highlights separately. Could be cool.

OK MS, this thing is obviously in stores already, how's about you launch it on Sept 3, and allow reviews to come out tomorrow? Eleven more days until reviews, seriously.

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh, I agree that it’s worth it. Just not for me. Like you, I would have to also have my regular smart phone along with me if only for the camera… or I’d have to buy a Sony RX 100 or something ($500-1200). The Kindle app is the first app that I’ve heard of that even slightly looks like something I would use on a dual screen. So it would have to be about half price for it to be worth it for me… If I rationalize it enough.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First of all NDA's suck...!
    Point being I wish I could say more. I will say though that the level of polish and real thought that went in to the interface is impressive.

BTW: I'm certain that Amazon didn't do all of this solely for the Duo, as they are are also of the belief that dual screens or folding screensare the next major innovation in the smartphone space.

dstrauss, nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Agreed

dstrauss likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

As a lawyer who has written too many NDA's in the oil patch, they not only suck but are counterproductive. If something is still in development, an NDA make sense to protects your work in progress. Once complete, an NDA does nothing for the developer absent getting the all important intellectual property filings.

7. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So here I am everyone. I'm on clinics right now and what I've been trying to do is find a device that will serve as a notepad for me to collect patient histories, diagnostic data, etc, etc as I go through multiple cases every day. First I started with paper notebooks (I am not very organized with them, and you'll lose them, or pile them up, and they're not digital), then I moved to an Onyx Boox e-ink tablet (which worked ok but not great).

I sent the Onyx tablet to another member here who graciously loaned me her Yoga Book with the laptop screen on one and and the e-ink on another. I will try and see if that works but it is quite big and not something I can throw into my pocket. And I have to notate a PDF rather than directly into OneNote.

I was thinking just getting a small Android tablet and using that with a matte protector to get a feeling somewhat like paper, but I'd be back to a regular LCD screen.

Then when I went on YouTube I saw all the unboxing videos for the Surface Duo pop up and it got me thinking. Should I just try this device, put a matte protector on it, and it could function not only as my phone but also my notepad in the hospital and I can sync my notes directly to OneNote? So I'm joining this discussion now, might have a lot of reading to do to catch up with y'all. :p

lovelaptops, djas and nnthemperor like this.
  8. JoeS

I'd say not before we've heard about battery life, the last true unknown imo, and likely to be somewhat short given the dual screen and smallish battery. Otherwise it seems like a perfect fit.

Edit: well the reviews are in and the battery life seems to be just fine. Phew!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    dellaster and Mesosphere like this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

ok. MS store charged my credit card, but expected delivery still says 9/10

dstrauss likes this.
  10. JoeS

Didn't mean to be negative, I'm just saying if someone's going to use this to take patient notes all day, make sure it can make it through an entire day. Otherwise still a very exciting device, looking forward to TPCR first impressions late next week. :thumbsup:

Chris_Kez and Bishop like this.