Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Inspired and inspiring @negative1. You're new here but I am one of the resident MS corporate bashers on TPCR (there are many more eloquent than I) - not because I don't respect their innovations and products, but because we all have lived through so many bad experiences with that corporation's wildly gyrating commitments to consumer products (hardware and software) for so many years (decades!), and it's abject failures to meet moments, markets and, especially, Apple, in allowing there to be a single monopoly without effective competition when only they have the resources to provide true competition to Apple and force it too to better meet consumer needs and offer true alternatives. See the Surface Go2 thread, and most any MS thread here to sense the tenor of the giants in this forum.

Welcome to the fold! It is a proud tradition of TPCR to hold feet to the fire when the tech titans let us down. Please do feel free to do the same, and to call me and others out when you disagree with, well, anything, but certainly our rants! :newpalm::thumbsup::hi:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

More often then not, I'd estimate at least 75% of best buy (or tech store) employees are usually clueless about the actual products and they are saying whatever they can to help make the sale. Some specially stores like the MicroCenter I find have more knowledgeable staff.

On the note of Europe, I always made it a habit to check out the local/chain tech stores in all the countries I visit, always curious of the selection/prices/etc. A few years back I was in Podgorica Montenegro, and I stumbled upon this small computer shop, and they had the Thinkpad Helix 2 on the store floor. I have never seen one in person before in any US store, so I was curious how the device handled. Before I could even touch the device, there was a single sales lady who pulled her best Vanna White impression, and made such a grand show of trying to present it to me. The look of amazement on her face as she went all "Its Transforms into a Tablet!!". I felt kind of bad when I told her I wasn't going to buy it. Her demeanor did a total 180 flip at that point. That rather memorable encounter aside, most of my experience in tech stores in Europe I haven't really been able to gauge the knowledge of tech store employees...mainly because of the language gap.

daddyfish and nnthemperor like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

But none more loquacious. ;)

Glad to see you back Jeff. Here's hoping we get too read many more of your juicy columns as this continuing saga of the Duo...unfolds (har, har).

4. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, found another use case for the Duo; if you have a Duo you can video call with two TPCR people at the same time! :eek:

, hehe. I have no idea of tech shops in east or south europe countries actually, was thinking of Germany / France / Belgium / Netherlands parts. Most tech sales people there speak english too (often with an lovely accent :vbbiggrin:).

lovelaptops and Chris_Kez like this.
  5. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

What he said +1.

lovelaptops likes this.
  6. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

lew of unbox therapy finally gets it:

later

7. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

hey lovelaptops:

Code:
    Me:
    ===================================================

You:
    ====================================================

Ok, so you have about 16 months more than I do on this forum, so that makes me new.
    I don't post a lot, but between here, and tabletbuzzpc, which has been offline for several
    years : see https://www.gottabemobile.com/TabletPCBuzzcomStatus.aspx

discussion:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/is-tablet-pc-buzz-dead.3343/page-2

i was a member of that for several years.

maybe you lived through so many bad experiences. but for me, using ms-dos 3/4/5/6 to windows 1.0/2.0/2.1/3.0/3.1/3.11/95/98/XP/7/8/8.1,
    windows 2000, nt 3.0/4.0 is probably one of the best runs for a consumer OS for me. of course it ended with windows XP, which i still
    use, and now mostly 7. [i refuse to use 10]. i have yet to use or own an apple product, because i don't see the point of them.
    they're the ones that have failed. (although i have friends that use them).

i've stuck with windows tablet pc's (as seen in my list below), i still fire up the hp TC 1100 every few months, i am actively
    using the fujitsu 5112 as an emulation machine in a countercade, and my daily drivers are the surface pro 1/2. all my hardware
    still works, and i have yet to ever return anything for repairs, or need a warranty. of course there are issues, updates, fixes, etc.
    but nothing that made me not want to use the devices. i've restored the surface pro 1 due to some booting issues, but its fine now.

i've also been a fan of the windows mobile and phone line, starting with the LG optimus windows 7.5 as my daily driver, and lumia 650 (as backup).

i have no intention of switching, but the DUO is first compelling android device i've seen, i don't have any tablets or used android before,
    because i've never had to, and i have NEVER felt like trying IOS either. both seem redundant and unfamiliar to me. i don't feel like i've missed out anything from either company, which microsoft has had an answer for.

so i'm not sure why people think Microsoft is doing something strange or different, when its just par for the course to be
    trying out a new direction, or unfamilar products, when they've been planning it for several years now.

welcome to you also. and thanks for the discussion.

later

Steve S likes this.
  8. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

I was actually about to dismiss the Surface Duo and keep my Note 20 Ultra, or go with the Fold 2, but I was able to test out the Duo yesterday at Best Buy for a bit and it's actually a really nice product.

The software seems to be refined and fast and the phone/ tablet is thin and small enough it might work as a primary device.

I'm about to preorder it and wait for the Fold 2 announcement on Tuesday to make a final decision. The Duo does have some weird omissions but it's a first gen product and I think MS wants to make sure they can perfect the form factor first before they start adding on extras like NFC and 5G. Hell, my N20 can't even survive a day with one charge because of 5G and 120Hz screen, so I end up turning those things off.

I think at the least this device deserves a chance.

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not sure of the relationship generally between Microsoft and Amazon. but I got a look at the new app which was updated (practically rewritten actually) to take advantage of the Duo dual screens. I can't post pictures yet, but MS should use this as best case example of how to really take advantage of the platform. It really is elegant and arguably the most "book like" reading experience on a tablet or smartphone yet.

Dual pages is just the start..

PS: One of the things they did in this release is make it more modular; where for example the page rendering engine is separate from the library management, which is separate for the authentication, etc. Why that's important is that it makes the app potentially much more portable across devices and platforms. In fact the person I talked to said without my prompting, "wouldn't this be awesome on the Neo?....if it ever comes out anyway"

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  10. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@desertlap, Wow, that’s a surprise. I never believe that Amazon would cooperate with Microsoft enough to refine the Kindle app for two screens. This certainly makes it a lot more attractive to me… If it was about half the price. :p

lovelaptops, dstrauss and desertlap like this.