Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, I like that browsing in landscape where the center bezel does not really stand in the way of functionality (only design), turning a phone in a ipad mini sized device for browsing is pretty handy.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One of the Best Buys near me had the display up and operational yesterday. However the employees got a failing grade for actually taking about it.

"It's running a very customized version of Android 9 and all your apps need to be purchased through the MS store. It's a lot like the way Amazon totally customizes Android for their fire tablets. It comes with an office 365 subscription for a year."

Just to be clear. None of those statements are at all accurate:oops::mad:

OTOH The display looks great in person, and MS has probably the most elegant looking home UI of any Android device maker and it's obvious they put a lot of though in to how to present on dual displays.

dceggert, dstrauss, negative1 and 2 others like this.
  3. rabilancia

rabilancia Pen Pal - Newbie

Another case option HERE.
    [​IMG]

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

The Duo is nowhere to be seen in our local stores. At our local Best Buy:
    • "Oh, we have it, but the Microsoft tech hasn't shown up yet to set it up. We can't show it to you, we'll get in trouble, but we've tried it and it's really nice! So thin!!"
    • "Come back next week..."
    • Grade: F - Clearly Best Buy doesn't care about having a Duo on display or not.
    Also went to our local AT&T store:
    • "(The display) isn't set up yet. It's in the back. I can bring it out to show it to you..."
    • "I can't bring it out; it's not set up yet. I've (played) with it, and it's (pretty cool)!"
    • "Our unlimited plan is $65, but for $75, you get 5G and a year of HBO..."
    • "I don't think preorders have started yet..."
    • "Not sure when it's available..."
    • Grade F - There was more to this conversation, but you get the idea...
    If there was a better reason to mourn Microsoft's decision to close its brick-n-mortar stores, I don't know what it would be. Clearly, Microsoft's surrogates can't carry the ball for them. In my little corner of the world, the Duo is off to a non-start...

Chris_Kez, dstrauss, Marty and 3 others like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thanks for taking one for the team! :thumbsup:

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Thanks for taking one for the team! :thumbsup:...>>

Grrrrrrr.....

Bishop and Bronsky like this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Haha sorry man. Honestly I know I'm not going to shell out $1400 for this device, but the gadget lover in me is tempted to go take a peek in the local Best Buy. Risking death by Covid just to see a new toy, that's how you know you have a problem. :p

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    nnthemperor and Chris_Kez like this.
  8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, how to sabotage Duo sales lol :vbrolleyes:.

Seriously though, is that kind of employees common in US tech shops? Its so different than my experience in Europe. (especially in the sense that if they don't know they either say so or most of the time look it up, instead of making up random gibberish)

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Does anybody mind if I say: I cannot figure out what MS hardware strategy is - in the slightest. It remains a blip on their sales, earnings and growth outlook - and their behavior matches the dimensions of this business unit, and if it doesn't have much financial impact, how is it strategic to do what they are doing - ie, how does it complement, Office, Azure, etc.? Their "roll outs" are anemic (not just Duo, latest gen of Surfaces too) and they continue to exhibit a "yeah, whatever" attitude about their hdwe products and closing the MS retail outlets seems a dramatic sign that they are not in the hardware business (except Xbox) "for keeps." It is not remotely clear to me why they are trying to pioneer this new device type/form factor that virtually no one will pay for. Please don't take me for someone who is not very keen to learn more about the Duo because these innovations excite me as they do all of us. It's just a Lucy and the football story; I know the first incarnation will disappoint and they will be achingly slow to do firmware/software updates, model refreshes, etc. kinda like the Surface Pro X :mad::(:rolleyes:

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  10. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

it makes perfect sense to me.

streamline the operations, get rid of stores, and other non-profitting entities.

put out a inspired form factor that promotes their tools, and bring about a possible radical
    change in productivity tools.

everything they put out goes through iterations if it survives the first round.
    i still have the very first surface pro, and later got the 2, and 3. but the first
    ones works just as well now as it did day 1. i use the 2 way more than the 3,
    because i don't like the pen, and the screen ratio.

they are already talking about changes and designs for the duo 2. so if you
    feel like jumping in now, feel free, otherwise wait it out to see what happens.

later

daddyfish and lovelaptops like this.