Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

So, I'm guess-timating from the 5.6 in screen statements that the folded Duo is slightly smaller than a closed Pocket sized Moleskine.

Anyone have a better estimate (or actual knowledge)?

WillAdams likes this.
  2. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah well basically it comes from my experience of ipads having better battery life / basically zero battery drain when they on sleep mode compared to other devices I've used in windows and android. I have not used a modern android 'tablet' like the surface duo though, so maybe androids match ipads in this battery drain now.

3. paprikaleapt

Oh right, the price, I forgot.

Time for me to come back to reality and remember I wouldn't ever buy the surface duo until it dropped way down in price.

But, hey look, maybe in 2030 foldables will be closer to ipad mini price territory and then I'd totally buy one.

The surface duo, once it drops in price alot then its like "Why not get a pocketable ipad mini sized tablet? Its cool" Right now, I use a small shoulder sling bag to carry an ipad mini. It's pretty great though I could see how someone would just prefer to fold the tablet and put it in his pocket.

This slim pen, though, it doesn't look that stable. I wonder why they went with this design as opposed to having a pen with a flat edge sticking to the sides like before. Oh right, so it can fit in the keyboard case (which is sick, btw). But how can a slim, round pen possibly have better attraction that a flat edge?

And on the other hand, you know there are 7 inch phones (didn't huawei make a 7.2 inch phone that one time with a pen?) that are pocketable. Barely pocketable and holdable but it does carry the advantage of a foldable of having one single screen with no break/fold and also you can start using its content immediately without having to unfold.

I wonder why 7 inch phones haven't caught on. I'll probably have to hold one to find out. Maybe that folding ability on the duo and galaxy fold really do make a big difference in the way you feel when using it.

4. paprikaleapt

I looked at the old surface go thread and realized that even though we didn't get a surface go 2, we did get an android surface duo which is pocketable. The issue is that I am not convinced a surface duo could ever be a good note taker. Could it? I mean it is pretty wide/boxy so at least it is better than the galaxy note phones probably.

Won't that line break screw everything up for note taking? Not to mention that it is still less than 9 inches (by diagonal) even when you combine the two screens and the consensus seems to be for a main note taker for school you need about 10 inches or more.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This would be a secondary/supplemental device to your main computer. On the fly notes; out and about; etc.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. paprikaleapt

What are your thoughts on the 6.8 inch galaxy note + versus the duo?

Note
    - one big screen
    - stylus inside
    - don't have to open it up
    - probably better screen and battery life

Duo
    - greater total screen space
    - not sure but I guess you could do stuff like have calendar + notes open at the same time?

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'd still stick with the Duo, but I guess I just can't get the iPhone ecosystem out of my system.

8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you tried inking on the G TabA P-205? 8" for inking is totally doable if it has a wide aspect ratio. Again, the 7" smartphone should be 18:9, so it's thinner and longer.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

djas likes this.
  9. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And if it would be bordless, it could become a good phone with an acceptable form factor.
    And if Google make two android can cooperate, you can have 2 P205 side by side to have a bigger screen, and one over the other to fold it, just add some magnet to maintain them together, and allow charging by contact between them and then charge oneand both are charged and everything at a sub 500$ price.

And make it also a 6" version.

And then a multi Os version, one on win10 and the other on Android.
    Come on Samsung, this could be the best fold that all of us will buy.

dstrauss, djas and nnthemperor like this.
  10. paprikaleapt