Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

*RANT WARNING*

Look. I am a SUIT. I prefer a SUIT. Some days I put on a SUIT and sit in my COVID home office. Candy bar cell phones that fit nicely in the inside pocket of a good suit were the bomb. Phones have been so heavy the last few years you wind up walking around like Igor.

[​IMG]

Price of progress I suppose. Now, about that shoulder holster....

nnthemperor, Chris_Kez and Steve S like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Interesting how that picture of Igor immediately made me think of the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra...:eek::(

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  3. Bishop

In the still bothering me department:

We've been given great hints that the level of Microsoft's control in the OS for SDuo is unlike any other Android device (even a Samsung, I'm assuming). So this will be a different experience with new quirks.

Consider these scenarios:
    A. You create a Google account based on the email address you will use for the Outlook app to sign into the device.

B. You use an existing Google account to sign into the device, and use a different account to sign into Outlook.

C. You sign directly into the device with your Microsoft account.

Questions:
    1. Does the Microsoft integration with the OS assume or work better with one of the choices above (assuming C is possible)?
    2. Which "app" will sync Contacts? The Google default or a Microsoft app?
    3. Is there anyway to avoid the contacts in Outlook being synced to Google's servers?
    4. Will the search engine be set to Google or Bing by default? Are there any changes to functionality of the OS integration if the search engine is changed to the other (or even DuckDuckGo)?
    5. In any of the scenarios, besides Play Store or other Google apps the user chooses, what Microsoft account data will pass through or be stored on Google servers?
    It would be helpful if Microsoft put out a white paper on optimum setup to take full advantage of SDuo's features and capabilities.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Bishop I can answer a couple of those questions right now

It's theoretically possible that you could use your MS credentials to transparently and automatically log in to Google as well. And in fact the support for that bi-directionally already exists in both MS and Googles APIs. I think the question unresolved here is just because you can, does that mean you should? I can foresee many IT directors at a minimum being uncomfortable with that.

Search engine is either Bing (default ) or Google. Duck Duck Go not a option at least in the current version of the software.

Integration between google apps such as contacts to outlook and vice versa is also theoretically possible, see the first item above.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Bishop

YES. YES. YES. He gets it!
    I can live with that.
    Believe me, the less my Microsoft data HAS TO pass through Google servers to get the full SDuo experience, the better. I still don't want to need to use Google Assistant to do basic stuff; I just need to know which choices risk that.

Am I the only one who thinks end users would benefit from some EARLY guidance here?

Once again, @desertlap, you are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you.:thumbsup:

nnthemperor, dstrauss and desertlap like this.
  6. Bishop

negative1 likes this.
  7. franzander

franzander Pen Pal - Newbie

I've never used Outlook, but I suspect the answer to your question 3 depends on how you (or rather outlook) accesses those addresses in general. If it saves them separately in general, is shouldn't be a problem to simply switch off syncing with the Google account. I'm using DAVxs to sync all my addresses etc. with a private DAV server (nextcloud) and removed all addresses from the Google account some years ago.
    In the case of DAVxs, it simply shows up as a separate account in the settings and you can decide which one the contacts app uses (and syncs with). In principle, outlook might work similarly. (Or you could always use some other server implementation for your contacts.)

8. Bishop

Interesting set up you have. Don't blame you for emptying the Google contacts. One of the other complications is that, as Microsoft remakes Cortana and ties it to "productivity" in Microsoft apps, the ability to use voice commands to call, text or email contacts may depend on in which app the contacts are stored.

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can't share yet due to NDA, but MS is going to have quite a few Duo specific user guides and tutorials around getting the best results with the new duo.

Lots of QA and "how do I?" stuff as well.

And no they aren't like Clippy:D:p

10. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Good, maybe it will help Paul Thurrott. His personality can be divisive for sure but he knows MS and often gets it right, which is why I find his complete inability to grasp Duo so puzzling.
    [​IMG]

Despite twenty years of evidence that MS is not good at communicating he seems bizarrely transfixed on the stated target and on the lack of a compelling "origin story", while ignoring the many use cases shown on stage and in promo videos, and use cases described in comments on his own site.
    Maybe someone here that is less enthusiastic about Duo can help me understand where he is coming from. To be clear I don't think this is going to be-- or is meant to be-- an iPhone/Galaxy S killer; I think this is a niche device for MS to test a theory about mobile productivity.

djas, Marty, dstrauss and 1 other person like this.