Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, same here to your points. I've only been using the Note since the Note 8 and have been happy with it but the size is getting too large. The SPen needs more friction with the screen for me. I haven't done anything with Dex but plan to give it a try with the N20.
    Just not sure if MS will stick with the Duo to jump in on V1 and if the phone delivers in real world use. Also, the cost of entry is steep.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That was a very interesting article - are you sure your not a MS marketing exec - nah, they would have never used this. The summary of the Sellen paper at the MIT site, even though 17 years old, reinforced this insight.

The size of the Note 20u does worry me - height is a much tougher factor in your pocket than width. I also share your concern about Duo 2 - although I have heard rumors it is well under way already.

One last thought about Duo - I just don't think I could live with "Peek Mode" every time I check for a message or call.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One thing he mentioned that I think is real though he doesn't get the particulars right is the idea of an App Store specific to the duo (and possibly other forthcoming Surface android devices????)

What we are hearing is that it will actually be special part of the play store accessible only to Surface owners. Samsung may have a similar deal in the works also as the galaxy store has always been a friction point between Google and Samsung.

Bishop likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Oh no. I don't have enough multiple personalities to manage the hydra that is Microsoft's marketing (although they may be testing the theory about giving a chimpanzee a typewriter and an eternity of time to turn out the works of Shakespeare while wasting a bazillion dollars in ads).

So this is my thinking about why peek mode is not an issue for me:
    1. While stationary, I'll probably have it (a) linked to my SPX or Studio and see the full detail on a big screen or (b) open and folded back to single screen and will see the full detail
    2. While driving, it will be mounted in a phone holder (hand's free required by law) open and folded back to single screen
    3. While otherwise moving around earbuds or smartwatch will give me the details.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  5. Bishop

Continuing down this thought....

**RANT WARNING**

Will someone please explain to me why Bing, Microsoft's own search engine, displays maps, contact numbers and hours for its own PERMANENTLY CLOSED retail stores?

I would not be surprised to see them when searching with Google, either from snark, time lapse or the sheer inaccuracy of the algorithms which promise to give us the most current and true information.

6. dstrauss

MS has more personalities than Truddi, Sybil and Eve combined, with no coherent direction even when on meds...

darkmagistric and Bishop like this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Of course a sledgehammer would destroy most anything, but for everyday bumps and drops, a case with a screen protector will protect a phone a hell of alot more then a just a screen protector. However the Duo has two problems working against it. Because its designed to fold flat in reverse, there is a limit to how thick any case could be for it, otherwise it would impede using it in that form. I'd imagine any case would have to be near the thickness of screen protector which would limit how well it could protect the phone. And the 2nd matter is the hinge. Even if the screen or casing doesn't crack, given the wiring that is passed thru the hinge, where as with most phones, breaking the screen is indeed the worst thing that can happen...but in the Duo's case, damage to hinge could be worse. Your screen protector might save the screen, but it would be worthless if one of the DUO's screens suddenly won't turn on after a small drop.

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, the hinge is likely pretty strong however, probably similar to expensive 2-1 laptops just smaller (I personally have good experiences so far with these type of metal hinges on laptops). Also as I mentioned I think there will be thin transparent case for the Duo too, so its not only screen protectors. I do not think in the end there is much difference, cause if you drop a standard smartphone from too high (even with comparable standard transparent case) no hinge will be damaged but the shock of impact will still destroy or damage internals.

9. dstrauss

OK all you butter fingers - Amazon has you covered, or if you prefer a clip on from Koala...

darkmagistric and daddyfish like this.
  10. Bishop