Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

the problem with folding it inside out it is leaves both screens unprotected. Where as with a normal phone, where as the one is technically unprotected, you only have to worry about that one screen.

case in point, my Note 8 got a scratch on its screen because I put my car keys in the same pocket one time and one of my keys scratched it. Also sometimes pockets take hits, people bumping Into you, you bump into something, you fall and trip, or sit/lean too closely to a metal divider or railing when you take a seat on a bus or train, etc. I could think of tons of ways it could break.

and you don’t necessarily need to have contact with the screen to break it. Even if you have a glass screen protector over the screen, a strong enough blow to the outer frame of the device could easily crack the screen. I’m assuming this is why they included a bumper accessory with it. But much like in the same way the original Galaxy Fold broke so easily, with a new tech concept like the Duo, Microsoft needs to prove this concept is viable.

Out of curiosity, for all the people on this board who have pre-ordered..is anyone intending not to pay up for a Protection Plan that covers accidental damage?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Patent idea! PaddedPockets(tm)

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...is anyone intending not to pay up for aProtection Plan that covers accidental damage?..>>

I won’t be buying a protection plan...

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I know it is important to radio signal performance, but I feel like we took a HUGE step backward when we switched from metal to glass backs...

Bishop likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's not even necessary for reception. Plastic transmits radio signals just fine. It's just harder to upsell plastic phones..

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Especially when that plastic allowed for a swappable battery like the GN4... That is reason #1 why I kept it for 6 years.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

From what I've been reading the plain Note 20 is suffering sales for the plastic back (non-removable) as well as other shortcomings.

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, it shows these differences are blown out proportion and practically you will not notice it, even when running 2 apps. The same guy has a video about the Duo where he multitasks on his Oneplus (also 855 sd), performance wise very smooth.

, yeah of course I though that was obvious :p, terminology it is not always my strongest suite however :vboops:.

, so you are referring to basically every non-rugged phone than? If I hit my candybar android phone with a sledgehammer it is also not going to survive it lol, even with a rubber case on it.

In the end the screen is the most vulnerable section of a smartphone for damage (and most critical to protect) and a screen protector fixes that. A thin transparent case will probably also be released for it. Should be enough. I have the same protection on my current phone and I dropped it already a few time from 1 to 2 meters on hard wooden floors, the phone works (and looks) like brand new.

9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

dstrauss and Chris_Kez like this.
  10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Bishop likes this.