Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And FWIW, Samsung should demo wireless DEX every chance they get. Being able to use your phone as a wireless tracked controlling the interface projected on a 65 inch TV in your living room is just too cool!

dstrauss and darkmagistric like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It can be done with a normal phone, but the duo isn’t a normal phone. How you hold it and open it is different. Like if I’m riding a NYC subway and pull it out to use, instead of just using it, I have to open it first to use it. Doing so one handed, (while the other hand is holding a subway rail) I could totally see it slipping out of my hand mid fold out and smashing on the floor.

dellaster and desertlap like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

See what you describe about holding/using its is going to be what makes or breaks the duo in the market. And key to that is how innovative MS software is to accommodate that.

The note is a known quantity with a single display albeit ginormous and the fold has a different set of issues because of it's outward folding paradigm. An issue which Samsung has only partially dealt with so far.

Agreed with @dstrauss that the fold 3 is going to be the one to watch

dellaster and darkmagistric like this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

and don’t forget one additional benefit to add to that point, If you have a Note 20u and the Samsung Flex 13, you can use the Flex’s trackpad to wirelessly charge the Note since Samsung made the flex’s trackpad double as a wireless charging mat.

dstrauss likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've also got a Galaxy Watch 3 and Buds Live on order, and ALL can use the same wireless charger or the trackpad - a good friend recommended I get in one lane (ecosystem) and stick with it, whether all Apple, all MS Surface, or all Samsung, and that S Pen integration really makes the Samsung walled garden much more enjoyable...

I have a low cost Qi charger on my desk both at work and at home, so whatever might be running low can be conveniently topped off without searching for cables or the correct wireless charger (looking at you Apple)...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  6. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I think if I got a Duo, it would be inside out most of the time. I can't imagine having to unfold it every time I wanted to use it. But my Note 9 hasn't had a screen protector on it most of the time I've had it as the one curved glass one I tried didn't stay on very well. It's screen is fine, so I'd have to think the Duo screens would be fine being out in my pocket. My biggest concern would be the width for one handed use. I have small hands.

yodamiked likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Wow, that is crazy! I had no idea, thanks for posting that, that's a big selling point for me.
    No apologies needed, keep 'em coming!

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, you don't have to unfold it, just put it unfolded in your pocket. A normal phone is also put into a pocket with the screen unprotected. For extra protection (glass) screen protectors exist; cheap and really effective.
    I have fairly small hands too, and I find most phones already a hassle to use with 1 hand. I think only the smaller model of Galaxy S (10e/20e?) is usable with 1 hand perfectly aside from a iphone or 2.

Found this random video that compared benchmark scores to the Fold, razr and Z Fold and the Duo gets the highest scores (only the iphone max is faster):

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, comparing LAST year's phones to THIS year's Duo, it does outperform them. My guess is this year's phones, 655 and 655+, not so much.

10. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Uh, I doubt that thing is going to fit unfolded in any pocket, except maybe @Mesosphere's cargo pants. I meant I would keep it folded inside out, so both screens on the outside vs inside. That's why I was talking about how my current Note 9 is used with an unprotected screen. I think you agree with me, we just have different ideas about what "unfolded" means in the context of the Duo.

Kumabjorn, Chris_Kez and Mesosphere like this.