Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, the device is even thinner than I thought and the Fold and Z Fold fatter than I thought. I still think it is overpriced but I think I would get this over a Fold actually if I would need to choose (unless they would be priced the same that 500 is better spend on a real camera for me personally, I would guess Duo's camera is good enough for that occasional snapshot you would want to make on a phone).
    I heard/read a leak that battery life will be ok (probably because of optimization by MS for the SD855) and performance apparently is slightly faster than the Fold Z which has a slightly newer cpu interestingly enough.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Bronsky, nnthemperor and Chris_Kez like this.
  2. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

An update on pocketability:
    [​IMG]
    After watching his video I want this thing more than ever; too bad my company moved to G Suite. Well, this is just one of many reasons to lament G Suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That's kind of surprising! I'm pretty sure skinny jeans are out, but this is still good news. #compantible

Chris_Kez likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Heads up:

Apparently if you go to the SDuo page on the MS store website and chat, they’ll do a demo and answer questions. Don’t know what the hours are.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'll be skeptical of this until its in my pocket. It is nice however seeing the DUO directly compared to the Flex and Note in a size sense. I feel in some ways the thinness (even folded) does in some ways help compensate for the overall larger footprint. But it remains to be seen the case/bumper options that will be available. Unless you're gutsy enough to carry around a $1400 phone without a case, most any non-skin like case option will probably take the thickness closer to the Note/Fold.

6. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, personally I think I would forget about the bumber and sticker it with glass screen protectors (maybe add a thin transparent case or a skin).

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Unless you're gutsy enough to carry around a $1400 phone without a case...>>

When I first got my GN9, which was a big step up in price from the phone it replaced, I asked myself the same question. Feeling bold however, I got a very thin plastic case, basically a corner protector, and went with that. And now, a couple of years down the road, my phone is still in primo condition, So it can be done.

Sure hope that wasn't "famous last words," though...

8. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't read this entire thread, what made you go for the Note 20U over the Duo? I did the same, haven't received mine yet. I'm not sure I'm going to keep it due to the size.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

See this post. For more of Dale's 20U musings, you can search the thread for posts by @dstrauss that mention the words note 20U. It's quite a few! :eek:

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Let me save you some time:
    1. Incredible bargain: thanks to Samsung's $650 trade in on my iPhone and $200 accessory credit (which let's you use it as an additional $200 credit after 35 days), my net cost on the 128gb model was $449. I already have a 512gb EVO mSDXC card, so although it is much slower memory, I only use it for photos and videos so I've got 640gb to pay with.
    2. S PEN: I love Wacom EMR, and now I will have it in both the Flex 13 and Note 20u, both in proper silos inside the machines, plus I own full size S Pens for work and home office.
    3. Fold 3: I feel this will be the biggest game changer ever, coming next year, and I would bet my bankroll that it too will have a siloed S Pen - an 8" canvas that folds up to phone size. The Note 20u will be my Android learning device.
    4. Cameras: 90% of my photography, even family gatherings and national park road trips, are done on my iPhone 11 Pro. The cameras on the Note 20u trounce the iPhone in side by side samples I've taken (admittedly indoors); the 5x optical zoom is fantastic, and the 10x-20x hybrid (digital) zoom is near perfect. 50x is more or less grainy unless used more as binoculars. Check out these examples by Matt Swider - ASTOUNDING
    5. DeX: it is now wireless, and you can create a true desktop-like environment in a pinch
    6. Specs: all of the other specs are the best available today for Android
    7. Link to Windows/Your Phone: the integration between a Galaxy phone and Samsung Flex are repeatedly reviewed as the best yet, even better than iPhone/MacBook
    I lose that neat two screen productivity aspect of the Duo, the Note 20u is too tall in my mind, but other than than, the Pros far outweigh the Cons for me, especially given this is training wheels for Fold 3 with S Pen.:D

@JoeS - I'm sure you have noticed that TabeltPCReview is basically my personal "thinking out load" scratch pad - sorry to be repetitive and/or boring.:oops:

darkmagistric likes this.