Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

When you pay a premium for a specific device, what is it you are paying for really? I thought about this question:

Joy of Use
    - Boots up fast
    - Apps work easily and are fast
    - Bright and pretty screen
    - Lightweight
    - Feels good in the hands
    - Enjoyable touch screen use
    - Does it feel fast? (including things like high hz screen)
    - The way it looks

Productivity (excluding art)
    - Is it fast and powerful enough for your use?
    - Is the screen bright/clear enough for your use?
    - Should you stop using this device and just use a full desktop with full monitors?
    - Is the battery life too low for your use?
    - Ports/the dongle life
    - Is it not so heavy it impedes you carrying it(heaviest gaming laptops)?

For smaller devices (less than 10 inches), I have the (possibly unpopular) opinion that Joy of Use is more important. Because if you really wanted productivity, you would put down the smaller device, and start walking towards a bigger device. I'm excluding cases where 8 inch tablets are clearly better (getting signatures for certain jobs, simple kiosks, situations where you truly require something mobile and small). Though I guess it can be argued that 10-12 inch tablets are the best for note taking on the go. Alot of people have awful handwriting though and don't find this useful, though. I use penabled devices out of inertia because I feel limited/frustrated when I go back to non-touch screen / no pen devices. I feel like I can't interact with content as much when poking the screen does nothing.

For bigger devices 13+ inch, there is the question of whether you should just be using a multi monitor desktop instead. If you have to travel alot and don't have to create art, then there is the question of how much the new form factor really helps (tablet modes).

What really gives the best productivity? There's the LG gram 17 16:10 which gives you a giant portable lightweight screen but lacks a pen and touchscreen. For non-noteakers, it might be the best option. For avid note takers? Maybe its between the galaxy book 10, the ipad pro 11, and maybe now one of these new surfaces.

For phones and productivity, well basically they need enough battery life and then you need to get off the phone and then use a larger device to do work.

Is a surface duo really more productive than other phones? Maybe, but I think the "joy of use" will have to make up for certain downsides (have to unfold it to use it, no pen in silo for instant notes like galaxy notes, probably worse battery, and also its just a phone).

The surface duo is almost a competitor of the ipad mini, except the duo is pocketable (which is a big deal to be honest!). And yet at the same time the duo is a competitor to the galaxy fold. To my mind, the galaxy note phones are better at being phones than the surface duo in the number of steps it takes to start using the display and the pen + surface duo battery will probably be worse.

The surface duo is not as good a tablet as the ipad mini, but you can put the surface duo in your pocket and make calls with it. So the duo can almost fight in two market spaces at once. Three, actually, it looks too much like the nintendo DS not to mention it as a pocketable gaming device. It's a device that can fight other devices in multiple markets, but I wonder if in practice in the short term it just broadens microsoft's appeal to the masses with a new premium / hip option and not be seen as real competitor in these three spaces. It seems like a "pretty good" option in each but bested in each of the three categories by something.

Still, the term "pocketable microsoft surface" just makes me happy to read these words.

Hopefully Apple is working on a foldable 7 or 8 inch tablet. I'd get it in a heart beat and enjoy alot of leisure time on it, productivity/pen issues be damned.

Bishop, batty and djas like this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Man, that was a really long read, but well presented. My question is, why do you want a foldable iPad or iPhone instead of the one already announced. What extra feature do you think it would offer?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

paprikaleapt and Bishop like this.
  3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Microsoft To do (Derived from Winderlist) has pen functionality and is functionally similar.

And if i am not wrong, OneNote looks exactly like this software, just a bit more colourful.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder how much this product will wind up costing... I know its early for sure but curious.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think it will be a surprising $1299

6. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea I was hoping for cheaper but thinking the same prob 1300

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My guess is they won't want to be hitting the Samsung Fold $1999 stratosphere with this thing, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple will be "leaking" a folding iPad by this time next year as a 2021 surprise...

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm guessing for both the Neo an Duo the base price will be $999 but the one you want will be $1149. Like apple does with their iPhones or even MS does with the Go.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. rabilancia

rabilancia Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm impressed! I stopped using my TC1100 (after having upgraded from a TC1000) in 2009!

djas likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I stopped using my TC1100...in 2009...>>

I also still have my TC1100. I think I last updated it last year, but now, like @djas , I'm going to have to power it up and check...

PS: I never installed the TEO add-on back in the day, and I'm running Win 10 anyway, so nothing to contribute to that part of the conversation...!

djas likes this.