Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

notsureifserious.jpg

(it's "pedantic" :confused: )

Chris_Kez likes this.
  2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Gif wars? *laughs in mom forum after several glasses of wine*

But seriously. The camera information was what I was most interested in. I'm all for the duo and ready to trade in my note 9 for one, but I want a good, quick access camera, because mom. So, I'm not sure about how I feel about the whole having to open it up and flip it all around to grab a photo. I can pull the note 9 out of my back pocket one handed to grab a quick pic before the chickens, I mean children, stop doing whatever cute thing they were doing. I'm not sold on the logistics of camera access unless I want to keep the thing folded open more often.

But dual screen android productivity? Yes please. I'm using a whole lot of Kindle books and worktexts scanned into one note to homeschool the kids. Side by side would be amazing. It's totally not because I want to click on video links to watch on one screen while keeping the forum open on the other screen.

And I'm really enjoying the pro x, so I already have a slim pen ready to go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bishop, dstrauss, JoeS and 3 others like this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Mea culpa.

In the collective defense, between remote working and the interminable delay until shipping, there was a bona fide intent to intersperse morale lifting levity with the analysis.

I will dispense with the apologetic gif. :oops:

dstrauss, JoeS and Chris_Kez like this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nah! Keep 'em coming. What's a TPCR forum without these interjections?

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Never sed I could spel...

alaskajoel, Chris_Kez, Bishop and 2 others like this.
  6. nannlp

nannlp Scribbler - Standard Member

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Regarding the camera, as much as some of us obsess over the camera like me and (looking at you @dstrauss) we are not the majority (as with many things it seems).

And I don't think it was a specific focus (pun intended) of the Duo design team.

I'm certain it will be more than good enough for the expected target audience. I do have one open question though which I think informs that choice.

Just as the shape of most modern phones has driven the majority vertical photos and videos (ugh!), both from what I can see and from talking to people that have actually used it, taking pictures is going to be both a bit awkward and probably back to horizontal majority with the Duo.

Fortunately/smartly, it looks like MS optimized the camera UI for whatever way you end up holding it. Something that to date only Samsung has invested any real effort in.

8. Bishop

But it fits IN his pocket. Surface started life with the "lapability" controversies. We now stress over "pocketability."

For the sake of perspective, IBM shipped the first hard drive in 1956. It was the size of 2 refrigerators and used 50 24 inch spinning platters. It offered a total of 5 MEGA bytes of storage at a cost of $10,000 per MEGA byte. SDuo will have 256,000 megabytes of storage (a 1956 cost of $2.56 billion), together with the ability to telephone or video with over 4 BILLION people, and instantly peruse a vast percentage of all knowledge accumulated by humanity since writing began - from a device that fits IN OUR POCKET.

Have we lost the wonder of miniaturization in particular and technology in general?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Kumabjorn, FZelle, Chris_Kez and 5 others like this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Even in much more recent history. I found my Creative Labs Nomad jukebox in a drawer Sunday. Even though the battery was toast , it still worked when connected to the ac adapter.

Looking at it with its "massive" for the time 5GB of storage next to my 256GB iPhone makes you do a bit of a reality check.

negative1, dstrauss and Bishop like this.
  10. Bishop

Chris_Kez, negative1 and dstrauss like this.