Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They have been working with them for over a year before the acquisition. So I'm guessing focus and urgency ?

Plus maybe a fear that with what some are already terming outdated specs. December looked even worse?

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Now that I can understand - being branded with two year old specs could be the kiss of death. What I really don't get is why they announced this thing October 2019 and didn't use the 11 months to at least move up to 865 if not 865+ Even more strange, why did the Neo seem so much more finished than the Duo, yet Neo is circling the drain while Duo is up for pre-order?

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...A high price allows MS to test this idea...and limits the test pool to people who are fairly committed to trying the concept...>>

Very perceptive comment @Chris_Kez ...

violajack and Bishop like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...why did the Neo seem so much more finished than the Duo, yet Neo is circling the drain while Duo is up for pre-order?..>>

Because Duo is really son-of-Andromeda with at least a few years of thinking behind it?

FWIW I thought that both devices looked about equally finished back in October...

darkmagistric likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I guess it was just the fact that Neo got so much more on screen time and Duo was tossed in at the very end...kind of like "and we can do it on Android too" only they did it on Android first...

nnthemperor, JoeS and darkmagistric like this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Is it just me, or did anyone else get the sense Andromeda actually had two offspring? The Duo, and the Neo.

The Duo was the go-getter younger sibling who went out into the business world, while the Neo stayed in grad-school working on the next big thing. Both are dreamers, courtesy of their parent's DNA. ;)

7. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

Yeah, i mentioned this post a few days ago : http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/surface-duo-discussion-thread.75238/page-91#post-549657

but thanks for reviving it, it deserves more looks, and people reading it.

windows central has been talking about this device for several years, and people never believed it
    would come out (or least most people thought it would be cancelled).

so it's nice to see some support for the device. they understand its not for everyone, and wasn't
    meant to compete with current form factors or top of the line flagship phones.

so thats where the disconnect comes from.

later

Chris_Kez likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I suspect the Neo may have had an iPad/iPhone moment. In other words, they originally came up with the Neo, demoed it and got asked could we do something in a smaller version?

Then the challenges with Windows X on top of the less than stellar performance of Ice Lake (and MS had to know about it long before Anandtech's tests)made them likely jump the duo ahead.

And the cherry on the sundae is that there was already speculation (before it was taken down) in some of the dev forums that Neo would be reborn as an android tablet. I can see significant flaws in that very last bit, but there you go.

nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  9. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

With regards to the processor I can only assume they needed to lock down the design in order to move it through to production. Given this is V1 I imagine it would take longer to get from final design to mass production. It could also be that even mighty Microsoft doesn't get first dibs on the new chips, with Qualcomm prioritizing the top manufacturers (i.e. the ones that actually make Qualcomm money).

And as far as the Neo goes, perhaps it seemed more polished because Microsoft was working on W10X in house, or perhaps the larger form factor was more forgiving from a design standpoint than the little 4.8mm thick Duo. I can only surmise that Duo proceeded more quickly once they got over the design humps because Android is an actual working OS underneath. It seems that Microsoft couldn't iron out all the software bumps with 10X, which is really not surprising.

10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Say, in the spirit of acquisitions and early launches, is there anyone they could acquire to make the launch of the Neo possible?
    Did I say early launch? Scratch that, I'll take any launch at all.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

Bishop likes this.