Surface Duo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Man, have you decided to be sour about the Duo.

That's fair enough though, and I share your misgivings especially in the pricing.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

daddyfish likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...This link is the same as your more videos link above...>>

Link is fixed. Thanks!

Bishop likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's true however the physical sensor in the pIxel 4 while good is not the best out there (Samsung and Apple to name two with better raw hardware) however the software that has been to date unique to the Pixel is what makes it outstanding.

And to further complicate things, Marc Levoy who was the lead engineer for the has left Google and there are rumors that Google and MS have been trading licenses with MS offering up some of the Pureview tech they got from Nokia to Google ,in exchange for the google camera software in the Pixel.

TLDR Digital camera specs like PC benchmarks are at best a "they lead in this test doing this specific task" type of thing which may or may not reflect what you are actually doing real world.

The one area where they seem to be "less than" is purely in the area of number of lenses and perhaps optical zoom.

But again everyone that hasn't actually used a real production Duo is just speculating at this point and even then software will be a major factor as we've heard that there will be a substantial "day one" update when it actually ships.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    bloodycape and nnthemperor like this.
  4. rabilancia

rabilancia Pen Pal - Newbie

I just accidentally came across this at TopCashBack.com home page: upload_2020-8-17_15-38-48.png

Unfortunately, upon checking further YMMV because of this fine print:
    upload_2020-8-17_15-42-8.png

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That is soo true. One reason, me thinks, is that the MS community finally got the pen to stick to the device with the magnets so that you have it with you. Not bringing a small attachable pen to the Duo might turn out to be a tactical mistake. Too early to tell though. But as a gurl with daddy issues I cling to my suspicions like Imelda to her shoes.

6. desertlap

nnthemperor and daddyfish like this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Its not my fault Microsoft left the milk out.

From day one, I've have been perhaps the biggest fan of the Slim pen on this board, recommending it regularly and defending it every chance. Just look at how many people in our little niche are still EMR or bust, the Slim Pen I feel is the first real chance Microsoft had to change that around. But they outright ignored it for the Pro 7, Book 3, and Go 2, and the Surface Duo is the first Surface Product since the Pro X that seems to be making any remote use of it, and yet they didn't figure out any solution for stowing or even how to charge it, the lack of charging it especially kind of more less cripples the Slim Pen.

I want the Slim Pen to succeed, but it honestly feels as if Microsoft doesn't. Or rather they just can't be bothered to care.

The Duo as a whole I want to succeed as well. My desktop is a 4 monitor rig, and my mobile coffee house set up is a dual monitor setup. I utterly love the idea of a dual screen phone and I'm a huge proponent of multi-monitor and dual screen set ups. I want the Duo and I want the Duo to succeed, but Microsoft is not making that easy.

8. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ditto. I would like the Duo to be a surprise hit, at least enough so for a version 2. (Another flop would be boring.) This gen1 device isn’t for me, but I’m interested in where they’ll go with it in the future, if there is one, and how it might positively influence the competition. :thumbsup:

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Interesting. They seem to think that this opens the door to putting Windows 10X on the device.

negative1 likes this.
  10. desertlap

Seems like I"m the "throw cold water" guy lately, but I'm doubtful for three reasons
    1. The UEFI previously mentioned...

2. The 855 has never been a WOA optimized chip which is what's needed to run WOA. The SQ1 is significantly different than 8xx series chips even though it's in the same general family

3. Qualcomm has much more than average control over WOA in general.

Not to say it's not theoretically possible, but I'd say it's highly unlikely.
    I hope I'm wrong however.:rolleyes:

Ironically I think ChromeOS is actually slightly more possible.

nnthemperor likes this.